1991 montero will not shift into top gear (auto)

My montero only shifts into top gear when it's been at freeway speeds for around 100 miles. This is resulting in poor mileage, so if anyone has any ideas as to the cause I would welcome them!

I'm assuming you mean Over Drive. Have you checked

? Here is a link to someone with O/D problems just last week.

mg