1992 Diamante ES

My diamante began stalling for no apparent reason, would restart immediately and contiunue driving. This continued till I made it home, then it will not start at all. Replaced fuel filter, not clogged, replaced fuel pump, not the problem. Has spark, timing is fine. Engine turns over, but will not even sputter to start. Is it the ECU?

Reply to
Scubaguy

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
Maybe the fuel pressure regulator is hanging intermittently? This would allow the fuel to return to the tank instead of pressurizing the injectors.....Probably a long shot......

Reply to
Outlander

"Outlander" wrote: > Scubaguy wrote: > > My diamante began stalling for no apparent reason, would > restart > > immediately and contiunue driving. This continued till I > made it > > home, then it will not start at all. Replaced fuel filter, > not > > clogged, replaced fuel pump, not the problem. Has spark, > timing is > > fine. Engine turns over, but will not even sputter to > start. Is it > > the ECU? > >

Thanks for the tip, how would I know for sure? I tried pouring a bit of gas into the intake, this caused the engine to sputter some, so it does seem as though the injectors are not firing. Anything I could do to test the fuel pres reg before replacing it?

Reply to
Scubaguy

> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report> > abuse:

This is primitive but I would first unhook the line that feeds back to the tank. I would then place a short piece of tubing with one end blocked on the outlet nipple of the regulator. Make sure it is clamped and will hold pressure. See if it starts. If it is a vacuum actuated regulator pull the vacuum hose off and see if there is any fuel in it. That would tell you if the regulator diaphragm is leaking. Might be some electric thing with the injectors too. If you have a helper and a stethoscope have the helper crank the starter and listen around the injectors for a regular clicking sound. You should hear something if they are opening. Again primitive!

Reply to
Outlander