ATTN 2001-2004 MONTERO SPORT OWNERS

All this peeling seen on the link began to happen to my 2003 Montero six months ago. Please click the link and look at my pictures. Am curious if others have had this problem. I was told by the dealer in no way is this covered under the extended warranty and the bank where I leased it from does not consider it normal wear and tear and told me I am liable for it.

MY email is snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
atlantic965

OK, your Montero is 4 years old. The RRRR.jpg image looks like the surface under the pealed area (darker blue) is actually shiny. If this is the case, is this undersurface a glossy smooth different blue paint, or is it flat ndercoat graey/black or bare plastic?

What I see looks like a top coat pealing off a badly prepared or unprepared surface. It can also be caused by road salt. I would also wonder about the condition of the body work under the flares.

Since this is a leased vehicle, and I assume you did not need to have the flares refinished at any time, you have two options:

a) take it to a paint shop and get a professional opinion on the cause of the pealing. If it is though to be because of bad preparation, you may have a valid case for a warranty claim. A flare that peals paint due to inadequate preparation is a manufacturing defect, and definitely IS under warranty.

Otherwise, while you are at the paint shop, get a quote for the refinishing of the flares.

Next, POLITELY consult with the dealer and/or bank what level of refinishing would be acceptable in terms of normal wear and tear when the vehicle is returned off lease. Presumably stone chips in the flare paint is considered normal wear and tear.

What about rust under the flares caused by road salt? That's surely normal wear and tear. Get a written definition of EXACTLY what "normal wear and tear" is and how it is evaluated at lease end.

Point is you could easily get a $700+ quote from a paint shop, or do it yourself with some sanding, correct undercoats and some colour in aerosol cans for maybe $100 or so.

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

I took it to a national auto body paint chain when it began to happen and they said the peeling is a coating and it will spread to the other parts of Montero which is all the lower grey trim around the Montero and they are right, it is happening all over. The man told me to consult the dealer as likely under warranty. Without looking Mitsubishi dealer told me because is not rust not under warranty. I have written Mitsubishi and awaiting response.

Reply to
atlantic965