four questions

Before the end of the year, I hope to (re)start a project that I've been wanting to do since the 80s. I'll be starting with a good condition daily driver 85 gt and adding various goodies. I plan to spend around $20k (maybe more) over the next five years or so. I have a few questions.

What is the url for the ford racing website, the one with the parts catalog? I dags for it but surprisingly, I couldn't find it.

IIRC, someone, ford racing I think, makes a front suspension mod for foxes that moves the front wheels forward an inch or so to help weight distribution. From what I remember, there are replacement fenders for this. Anyone remember what I'm talking about, who makes, it, and if it's still available? I'm also considering something like the griggs gr40, but haven't decided yet.

I seem to remember ford selling a complete new cobra drive train package including a modular motor, computer, and t56 for around $6000. This sounds really low to me now. Does anyone remember what I'm talking about?

And lastly, can anyone point me to a NOS saleen body kit for an 85 mustang?

thanks.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

$6K won't buy a Cobra drivetrain -- not even close.

Reply to
Bob Willard

I finally found the ford racing catalog. I couldn't find it on fordracing.com last time. Looks like they have a modular engine for about $5700 that makes 305hp. It says the mach-1 engine, not the cobra. But I thought the cobra was around 300hp so I guess I don't care. It says a complete engine, but it's not clear if that includes the computer. And I know t56s are well over $1000. With the clutch it's sounding more like $8000 or so. I think I can do a lot better with a 351 and a carb, or maybe a donor car.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

Reply to
Deputy Dog

Yes, I remember that. A couple of Cobra kit builders bought this. But they were available in limited quantities, and I believe they are all gone. The 4.6/5.0 mod motor is a great engine. For it's displacement it makes outstanding power. But the engine is also huge. It's very wide. Don't know if it will fit in a '85 without some major mods.

Reply to
.boB

Donor car is an inexpensive way to go. I know lots of people have built Cobras with a donor, and make a fine car. A good carbed 351W with all necessary parts will probably run you about $7,000. Transmission $1200 (if you're lucky), and clutch about $300 or so. That's with all new quality parts.

Reply to
.boB

:-)

I've seen it done, but I think it takes a special k-member. I've even heard (but not seen proof) of someone fitting the modular v-10 in a fox car.

That project is probably too ambitious for someone who's never done an engine swap before (me), but I think I could handle putting a non-computer crate engine into an 85.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning