Had my hubcaps stolen today

I had all four hubcaps stolen off of my Mitsubishi Galant today. Why do people steal hubcaps?

Anyway, replacement factory hubcaps are way too expensive, but I was looking at some replic hubcaps online instead. Has anyone ever purchased replica hubcaps? Is the quality the same as a regular hubcap?

Sorry for the crosspost.

Reply to
Deuteros

That is why I always get alloy wheels. In the long run it is usually cheaper, and obviously better looking.

Reply to
Mark A

For the same reason some punk has now stolen two (2) ram's-head hood ornaments off my Dodge truck.

"Replica" of what? You're looking at universal aftermarket wheel covers. Most of them are made in China. What kind of quality is it you're interested in knowing about?

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Hubcaps on a Jeep! Are you nuts? Real Jeeps don't have hubcaps.

Reply to
J Strickland

Depends. Chrome plated plastic won't last long, chrome plated medal is better. Chromed plastic can't take the abuse of, flexing, temperature changes, and road hazards (Salt and sand). I bought a set of plastic caps (replica by your standard) for my winter steel wheels, they didn't even last the season before the paint and some chrome (actually vacuum deposit aluminum) started coming off. I use the steel wheels with snow (not all seasons) tires in the winter, and factory alloy in the summer.

Reply to
Nirodac

Check out some new wheels for your car from tirerack.com. Pep Boys may have some cheap wheels also. I would if I could not find in expensive wheel covers or a nice set of used wheels. Or search around for some cheap wheel covers so the same thieves can come back and take those too! :-(

I just had my Jeep Cherokee stolen and I got it back with the alloy wheels (with wheel locks). I was very lucky. If I had wheel covers they probably would have taken those off.

Good luck! later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

What this country needs is a good Death Penalty law ...

"Your Honor, the little bastard was stealing parts off my truck."

"Oh, well then, he needed killing?"

"Yes, your Honor, he needed killing."

"OK, you're good to go."

"Thank you, your Honor."

Reply to
J Strickland

Maybe you should move to Iraq.

Reply to
Josh

Back when it was cool to steal mercedes mascots, They came out with one where the mechanism that allowed it to flex was incorperated to a switch for the alarm. I had a customer who lived in a bad part of town and we wired his to a bank teller's dye pack firing out the grill.. Refilled it three times in one month, then they left his car alone. I would have used a claymore.

Reply to
Paul Calman

I think you mean real Jeeps don't have wheel covers. Us old fogies know the difference.

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

No, I meant hub caps. They don't have wheel covers either, but "wheel covers" doesn't include hub caps, whereas "hub caps" includes wheel covers.

Reply to
J Strickland

Those damn Liberals...

Maybe you should send the little bastards over there.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

LOL...I have been calling Wheel Covers Hub Caps since I was 5, and that was a lotta years ago! Yeah, i know the difference, but I still call them Hub Caps!

Reply to
hachiroku

Cool! I would have liked to have seen that! Did you ever catch the 'culprit'?

Reply to
hachiroku

Not bad, not bad. My solution's a little more pragmatic: I found a company that makes a replacement ram's head that has no flex mechanism. It means any pedestrians I hit (right, Judy?) are gonna get a ram's-head-sized chunk torn out of 'em, and it means I can't turn the ram's head around facing rearward the way I like it, but it also means it'll be a great deal more difficult to steal.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Nah, there they only allow cutting the RIGHT hand at an angle.

OK CULTURE TIME! Why the RIGHT hand?

Reply to
hachiroku

Fool, he wasn't describing Iraq. He was describing Texas.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

'cause that's the one reserved for eating, while the left is reserved for wiping one's ass. It forces the thief to eat with what is considered an inherently-dirty hand.

One assumes that the clerics disapprove of decadent capitalistic infidel Western notions like handwashing.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I'm sure that Jeff meant this to be "tongue-in-cheek" but his point is very valid. A large part of the reason that this type of theft occurs (as well as all other types of crime) is because of the light "slap on the wrist" punishment these thieves get when they get caught.

I'm sure NOBODY here is advocating killing for the theft of hubcaps, but I do believe we need MUCH STIFFER penalties/punishments for vandalism, theft, etc.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

"mabar" wrote

Ummm, but what would you reward a spinner's thief with? Surely stealing spinners can't be considered anything but a service to humanity.

Floyd ;->

Reply to
fbloogyudsr