Had my hubcaps stolen today

I had all four hubcaps stolen off of my Mitsubishi Galant today. Why do people steal hubcaps?

Anyway, replacement factory hubcaps are way too expensive, but I was looking at some replic hubcaps online instead. Has anyone ever purchased replica hubcaps? Is the quality the same as a regular hubcap?

Sorry for the crosspost.

Reply to
Deuteros

That is why I always get alloy wheels. In the long run it is usually cheaper, and obviously better looking.

Reply to
Mark A

For the same reason some punk has now stolen two (2) ram's-head hood ornaments off my Dodge truck.

"Replica" of what? You're looking at universal aftermarket wheel covers. Most of them are made in China. What kind of quality is it you're interested in knowing about?

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Hubcaps on a Jeep! Are you nuts? Real Jeeps don't have hubcaps.

Reply to
J Strickland

Depends. Chrome plated plastic won't last long, chrome plated medal is better. Chromed plastic can't take the abuse of, flexing, temperature changes, and road hazards (Salt and sand). I bought a set of plastic caps (replica by your standard) for my winter steel wheels, they didn't even last the season before the paint and some chrome (actually vacuum deposit aluminum) started coming off. I use the steel wheels with snow (not all seasons) tires in the winter, and factory alloy in the summer.

Reply to
Nirodac

Check out some new wheels for your car from tirerack.com. Pep Boys may have some cheap wheels also. I would if I could not find in expensive wheel covers or a nice set of used wheels. Or search around for some cheap wheel covers so the same thieves can come back and take those too! :-(

I just had my Jeep Cherokee stolen and I got it back with the alloy wheels (with wheel locks). I was very lucky. If I had wheel covers they probably would have taken those off.

Good luck! later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

What this country needs is a good Death Penalty law ...

"Your Honor, the little bastard was stealing parts off my truck."

"Oh, well then, he needed killing?"

"Yes, your Honor, he needed killing."

"OK, you're good to go."

"Thank you, your Honor."

Reply to
J Strickland

Yeh...sounds kinda girly to me......

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Maybe you should move to Iraq.

Reply to
Josh

Hubcaps? What kind of cars still have hubcaps? ;)

mike hunt

Deuteros wrote:

Reply to
IleneDover

Sounds right to me...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Crown Victoria with Police Interceptor package?

Reply to
Ray O

Back when it was cool to steal mercedes mascots, They came out with one where the mechanism that allowed it to flex was incorperated to a switch for the alarm. I had a customer who lived in a bad part of town and we wired his to a bank teller's dye pack firing out the grill.. Refilled it three times in one month, then they left his car alone. I would have used a claymore.

Reply to
Paul Calman

*backing away slowly*

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

That, or a ten gauge at crotch level loaded with SSG

Reply to
Gord Beaman

I think you mean real Jeeps don't have wheel covers. Us old fogies know the difference.

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

No, I meant hub caps. They don't have wheel covers either, but "wheel covers" doesn't include hub caps, whereas "hub caps" includes wheel covers.

Reply to
J Strickland

Men scary. Must hide

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Sound like affixing razor blades to fender skirts. Hopefully, fender skirts and curb feelers won't make a comeback!

Reply to
Ray O

Hubcaps are optional ;)

mike hunt