Installing A/C in a 2004 Lancer ES

I am currently looking at buying a new car, and I have found an amazing deal on a 2004 Lancer ES done up with a full Evo VIII Body kit, The only problem is that it is a 5-Speed with no A/C. My Wife and I are planning on having a Kid within the lifespan of this car, and do not want to have to place a child in a car without A/C.

I need to know:

1.) is it possible to install an A/C onto this car. 2.) if it is possible, aproximatly how much would it cost
Reply to
Jesse B

children can tolerate heat and cold,,, our species are thousands of years old, AC has been around for less than 100 years..

Now Where to buy a kit to install AC that FITS the car ,,,because it is DESIGNED to fit the car,,, and looks and functions like factory AC

It will have to be FACTORY AC,,there are NO kits in the aftermarket.

Reply to
I'm Right

I know it has to be a Factory A/C System, but I need to know if the 04' ES 5-Speed has room for it, and how much it would be to install it.

"I'm Right" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Reply to
Jesse B

That is a worthy post. I give you two thumbs up. Thank you, you made my day. Don't forget 2-60 AC. That's 2 windows down and 60 MPH.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Yes, there's room to install it. In fact the basic wiring is already there, and the parts just have to be installed. You need the following:

Dash control switch and assorted wiring assemblies Evaporator unit that replaces the dummy unit Hoses and pipes, drier canister. Front mounted condensor Condensor fan Fan relays and wiring assembly.

This lot will cost, purchased new from a dealer, will cost in the order of $2500 or more. Installation can be expected to take at 4 - 6 hours or more. Then the system has to be evacuated and charged: another $200.

Your best bet, if you want to go through this, is to source all the parts from a wrecker ie from a car thats taken a hit from the rear. This includes the worthless used drier canister, as you need this to start with to keep the system clear of dirt until its ready to be replaced and the system charged.

You might find you can do a better deal on buying a 2004 5-speed with the a/c already installed.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Thanks Stewart,

Finally someone with an answer I was looking for, and not just a stupid reply or flame.

The only reason I was asking about installing it is my Wife wants a Blue Lancer (only available on the ES) and This one has the body kit that I was looking for (Full Evo VIII Kit), so it was in a sence too good to be true, and that's where the catch came in. No A/C.

My wife absolutly wants A/C as our other car is without and I drive alot for my job, and 2 hours on the freeway when it's 40C+ with the humidity doesn't work for me.

"Stewart DIBBS" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@magma.ca:

Reply to
Jesse B

You are SMOKING CRACK on a $200 evac and charge! Try $29 plus the R134a, about $40 or so,,,

Thats $69 TOTAL $2500 for the AC kit? Try $1000 maybe, the salvage yard about $300

Reply to
I'm Right

Such kind words! I'm reminded of the "pro bono publico non bastardo carborundum" comment.

Any way, I'd be frankly AMAZED if you could source all the necessary 2004 bits from a wrecker for a mere $300. Or purchase the same set new for us$1000 from a dealer. Just the A/C hoses for a 94 Mirage have a dealer price of about us$200 each. I'd expect the 2004 equivalent part would be similar.

Looking at acsource.net, a 2003 condensor is us$170, 2001 compressor us$360, and then there's all the stuff that HAS to come from the dealer only if you can't find it at a wrecker. Dealers of course don't charge for labour (yeah right)... 4 - 6 hours to install all the a/c bits is not unreasonable. Seems to me that $1000 is pretty unrealistic.

Surely the simplest thing for original poster would be to ask the dealer what it would cost for them to install the A/C, making sure they know this is a deal breaker. Then haggle like mad on the total price.

On evac and recharge ... I had this done last year in Ottawa and it came to C$196 ... maybe in the USA its cheaper. This year I simply added a can of Durakool.

(Above :: thats "for the public good don't let the bastards grind you down")

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS