sqealing sound

when i first start my car in the morning it squeals like crazy, also when turning the steering wheel. can anyone help. a belt? thanks

Reply to
sput

Belts, power steering would be likely culprit. Do them all.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Agree. PS belt is the likely culprit.

"When a legislature undertakes to proscribe the exercise of a citizen's constitutional rights it acts lawlessly and the citizen can take matters into his own hands and proceed on the basis that such a law is no law at all."

- Justice William O. Douglas

Reply to
MisterSkippy

"sput" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

One or more of your belts is too loose. Find out which one is the culprit, then tighten it. One way you can determine which belt is the culprit is to start the engine and spray some belt dressing on one belt at a time until the squeal goes away. As soon as it goes away, you'll know which belt is too loose.

Also, if it's loose, you might want to explore reasons why it is loose. Is it an old belt that is stretching (worn)? Was it removed for other maintenance, then re-installed?

Reply to
Scott Zane

Not sure what car you have, but one of the problems, if the belts are all recent and tight, is that the crank pulley is dying. Mine started out squealing just in the morning, I replaced the belts, and the problem continued. As it got colder outside, the problem got worse until it would barely ever *stop* squealing. I pulled the pulley on suggestion from someone here and it fell apart in two pieces. $150 from the Mitsu dealer for the part.

My car is a '95 Eclipse GSX. Others also have this problem, but I'm not sure what models.

JS

Reply to
JS