Transmission Syncro kit

I am having a problem with my '92 talon's trans. The 3rd gear syncro is going out. Thus, i'm going to be rebuilding it soon. As you all know, the syncros in the 1g DSM arn't the best. :) So i was wondering if there is a kit with beter syncros or am i just stuck with the stock syncros?

I am also wanting to put a short shifter in there, as long as i've got the trany out. :) Can anyone suggest a good short shifter kit to go with?

Thanks for any help!

-jason

Reply to
Jason Hurst

Come on, they weren't THAT bad.

The main issue was with the 1-2 synchos on the early 90's designs, and was a) fixed with an update parts kit (about C$200 including the synchro ring), and b) a new double synchro design starting in AFAIK 94/95 (3G Talon/ Eclipse)

The stock synchros are good for maybe 200,000km, unless you abuse them with racing changes, or dragging the stick into a lower gear then letting the clutch out, instead of a more mechanically sympathetic double shuffle.

Just make sure that you replace the synchos rings (brass)AND the synchro cones (steel) if necessary.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

call jon at team rip engineering

or john at
both of these guys are experts with the DSM tranny. i have a full-race tre tranny in my gsx and am happy.

Reply to
simpleton

Shifter doesn't care about the tranny. As far as tranny goes, TRE or John Shepard are the places to look. Yes, the DSM tranny isn't that great over

300 HP, but it's still better than a Chevy tranny with the same rating. Not many trannies can handle AWD...there aren't any GM, Ford, or Chrysler that can.
Reply to
Robert Honea

Before you try the expensive rebuild, try putting some RedLine MT-90 in it.

Sure helped my daughter's car. May not be perfect, but it will be better.

Mike

Reply to
Mike