What engine do I have in 1993 Eclipse?

I took ownership of a 1993 Eclipse but am not sure what engine is in the car. How can I find out if 1.8L or 2.0L? The sticker inside the engine compartment says Engine = 4G37 (whatever that means). Is it based off of the vin number perhaps?

Thanks. Walter

Reply to
Walter Cohen

You can tell without even opening the hood. If there's a hood bulge on the left side, then it's a 2.0 engine. That's there because the camshaft pulleys at too tall for the hood to close without it. The

1.8 liter engine is shorter and the hood, therefore, does not have that bulge.
Reply to
bcammack

4G37 is the 1.8L SOHC engine. The only other type is the 4G63 DOHC and DOHC turbo.

Unless the car has had a DOHC transplant (not impossible) yours is 1.8L.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Walter Cohen

Reply to
Walter Cohen

Well, it's not impossible for someone to have swapped hoods sometime during the car's life. I'm more familiar with the earlier first generation cars as I have a 1990 GS 2.0L and I know that was the principle identifying aspect as far as the engine type was concerned.

It's quite possible as well that by the end of the 1st generation run, they'd started using the hood with the bulge 'cause it looked "cool" and the majority of buyers wanted that. Much like how Chevrolet came out with the RS Camaro in the 90s with the V6 and all of the bodywork of the Z28 for people who couldn't afford the insurance on a Z28, but wanted the look.

Sorry if I muddied the waters for you.

Reply to
bcammack