205s and Golfs

How come loads of 205s get rallied, and Golfs get made into track cars? Are they inherently more suited to it, or is it just because Germans like taking Golfs round the ring?

Reply to
Doki

I think it's a reflection of the motorsport activities of the respective factories at the time - seems to also be driven by engine sizes - the Pug 205 was successful as a 1600cc rally car, whereas the Golf would have been in the 2lt class against the Delta / Celica etc.

Reply to
SteveH

Aaha. I'd not thought about class restrictions. ISTR VW set up a one make cup to promote the GTis too.

Reply to
Doki

Doki did you get my emails?

Reply to
Ronny

Are they inherently more suited to it, or is it just because Germans like taking Golfs round the ring? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Fnarr fnarr as Finbar Saunders would have said - possibly...

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

nice 205 :)

Rob

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Wheelspin at 70. Excellent. :)

Reply to
Albert T Cone

It's mainly because the Golf was a crap rally car.

205's are quite good at both.
Reply to
Pete M