306TD K&N Induction

Hello, Will i notice any difference with the K&N 57i kit on my 1998 306 TD-sport?

also has anyone fitted one? how do you do it? i found this web-site, but it looks odd putting it there.

any thoughts or help cheers ant

Reply to
Ant

Yea, it may be a bit noisier. That's about it really.

What exactly are you expecting to happen, it will be turned into a fire breathing monster spitting BHP from all available orrifices ?

Reply to
Lordy.UK

It looks like they took some of the pictures while upside down, very confusing. (c:

My experience of 306s, and indeed, several Peugeot and Citroen cars with the same or similar diesel engines, is that they have cold air induction pipework fitted from the factory. The K&N filter element may make some more noise, as the standard induction pipework will be designed to make the car quiet, but I doubt the XU9DT's mechanical fuel metering system would be able to extract much, if any, significant performance gain.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Lordy - nope, just wondered if i got get a few bhps more.

thanks Douglas. Do you think a replacement k&n element would be just as good. I'm not too bothered about noise, just wondered if i could squeeze a couple more BHP out of the car. (no, i'm not a chav, nova boy etc)

I have to replace the eair filter for my next service (appoc 900miles away now) any info would be great, cheers ant

Reply to
Ant

If you want more power from that engine the key is more fuel, not more air! If you know what you're doing you can *slightly* up the fueling for a bit more power, but at the cost of engine longevity. Or take it to a proper tuner like Allard and have it done properly.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Well you're clearly not a Nova boy unless you drive a Nova. (c:

I think you'd barely notice a couple of BHP. If you want it to go faster, find out about front mounting/bigger intercooler and having someone who *really* knows what they are doing fiddle with the fuelling. That ought to add some oomph. Van Aaken developments

and Allard
could well be the people you want to speak to.

DIY fuel fiddling is probably bad news. Save your pennies and have someone reputable do it.

Might be worth it if you can clean the K&N element rather than replace the stock one at given intervals but perhaps only if you do squillions of miles. Air filters aren't very expensive so it might take a while to recoup the cost. Do some sums and see what you think.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

It's possible. It's also possible you'd lose a few. Either way, you're not going to notice it.

Just up the boost and nail it into the ground :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Guess you don't know how diesels work.

Reply to
Conor

Oh dear.

1) Its a diesel. THe amount of air going into the engine is a constant unlike a petrol. 2) because of 1), a K&N will make no difference whatsoever.
Reply to
Conor

So you're telling me that a diesel is ingesting the same amount of air at full load and 4,000 rpm as it is at idle?

Reply to
DervMan

No, he said the air going in is a constant - implying it will ingest roughly the same regardless of any pseudo 'improvements' made, not that it's always going to be the same at every single part of the range :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Fuck, just realised it was Conor that you quoted, forget I said anything

- he's going to be wrong whatever it was ffs :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Yup hes wrong again. Adiesel flows more air with a freeer flowing filter just like any other engine does. And if you were to increase fueling by a couple of percent to match it you would get marginally more power.

Reply to
Burgerman

? !!

Reply to
Burgerman

You need more air, so you can burn the extra fuel instead of turning it into smoke, so both are a good thing here.

Reply to
Burgerman

You've had a lot of experience with the PSA XUDT engines then?

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Eh?

Sorry, you're right, I am wrong, and my statement above is completely incorrect. I have absolutely no idea how a diesel engine works.

Enhance my knowledge Conor, how could simply adding a K&N air filter make a performance gain on a PSA mechanically injected 1.9litre turbo diesel engine?

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I'm getting lost now.... Does anyone with some definite knowledge know if an induction kit will do any thing? Or the K&N filter element replacement? Or just buy the usual Orange & Yellow standard element?

:o( please help, i am new to my little 306, and so far its a good car. (306 Turbo Diesel Sport 1998)

cheers people

Reply to
Ant

Induction kit waste of time. K&N replacement "may" give a little (and I do mean a little!) extra power if your fuel system is adjusted to take advantage of the extra free air, but dont expect more than about 2 percent more at best! If you leave the fuel system as it is, and dont alter the boost, you will see nothing extra. But its a better filter...

Go for a drive without a filter and see if there is any *real* (measure it from 0 to 70 say over the same bit of road) and again with it in. I doubt you will see any difference. Just driving is subjective and wont tell you a thing.

Buy the cheapest one. Then fit a bleed or something to allow more boost. (use a pressure guage!) and up the boost by a bit (30 percent?) and then increase the fueling as needed, if the fuel system does not automatically do this enough. You are looking for traces of black smoke under full boost on warm day...

Reply to
Burgermans other computer

An expensive induction kit/panel filter alone WILL NOT make your car any faster than using a standard air filter.

The Diesel engine essentially works by injecting a set amount of fuel into the cylinders according to what the gas pedal is doing, and sucking as much air through the filter as it needs. It doesn't make a difference performance wise whether more air can pass through a freer flowing air filter.

To extract more performance, you (actually, preferably someone else, no offence) will need to adjust the fuelling/boost worky bits. More fuel and higher boost will mean the engine will suck more air, and THATS when you might end up needing a filter that can flow more air than standard.

Similarly, you might find the standard filter is perfectly adequate for modest performance gains, I don't know that for sure.

I like 306s. Even the dog slow ones can be driven quite fast. (c:

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne