820 Turbos

Most people are happy with just the one or two but 820 of them!

Reply to
Depresion

I was moved to post this all the way from Australia so hi everyone I'm doing fine. Currently driving round this huge country in a 1973 VW Kombi van. No I haven't seen Wolfe Creek. Caught up with Fraser in Perth, for a "Top Giya" (as Fraser says it!) marathon. Didn't like Perth much though but it was winter (even summer weather can't improve the endless and characterless Barratt-style bungalows and monolithic shopping centres though). However I worked there as a tyre fitter and absolutely loved that, no really! Note to Fraser - sorry for leaving town without saying bye, and thanks for the Top Giya!

Anyway back to topic - I had an 825 Turbo Diesel. Unreliable, terrible build quality and very dodgy handling, especially in the wet. I don't expect the petrol variant to be much better. Good points were the engine - The 2.5TD had quite a lot of grunt and could run on veg oil and returned an easy 40mpg. And of course the 820 turbo is a 180bhp version of the 197bhp unit in the 620TI so the Diesel is probably a better bet if you must have one of those stupid old barges.

Get a 620TI instead, or an Alfa 164 with the same TD engine as the Rover. Alfa will be more reliable and built better, plus it'll handle!

Reply to
fishman

Things you never thought you'd hear on Usenet #135...

Reply to
Iridium

My parents had an older style, G plate 827 Vitesse manual, that was quite good. Then they had the newer style, N plate, 827 Auto - that was NOT good. I suspect the main difference was the 'sports' suspension the Vitesse models have, because the auto did a very good ship in a gale impression on corners, whereas the Vitesse was actually quite composed, for a barge. So in summary, I think you can only get the Turbo's in Vitesse spec, so they might not be THAT bad.

Reply to
Iridium

Good engine, but the rest of the package is a bit suspect...

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Back to looking at Audis for cars that are fairly rapid and won't attract theives or car keys then.

Reply to
Doki

It's a Rover 800, so terrible in some ways- general build, paint, corrosion protection. Think the engines are strong enough though.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Oh Yeah.

If I had the cash and space, a 5cyl Coupe.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

It's not that unusual, it's just that only ever SteveH (and perhaps PeteM) that says it.

(c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Gotta love the top giya.