Advantages v disadvantages of a diesel!!!

OK 11 and 400 and a bit, whats the difference? Both are sub 50bhp per litre boat anchors.

Reply to
Burgerman

Burgerman

Errr wrong about what? I never claimed a 1 litre engine making 400 bhp per litrer would last longer than a huge 11 litre engine making less than 50!

Quite the opposite I said smaller engines wear out faster in 11 different posts. I said everything else being equal the diesel wears faster. And comparing a

1 litre engine that makes as much power as an 11 litre engine is obviously not equal!!!

You are desperate really arent you.

Go play with your big macho lorry...

I notice you cant answer this.

Reply to
Burgerman

Maybe on a specific vehicle but so what, I stated in post 1 that they are more economical

Err no, they are just different and some think worse. Its debatable, but who cares...

Compared to what? A turbo petrol?

Depends on tank size...

Like my petrol cars do. And my diesel van wont you mean! Ever heard of frozen diesel? Seen truckers with fires under the fuel tank trying to get going again!

Absolutely the oposite is true. Thats why some diesel cars have 6 gears and trucks about 26, they totally lack flexibility.

So what? Compared to the equivelent turbo car you diesels performance looks sad!

???????????????

Well said, I went as passenger in new 1 series bm yeasterday, What a gutless noisey piece of crap that was!

But petrol evaporates away, none on floor, shoes, and it dries away on hands fast, and doesent cause dermatitis probs...

You just have to be not paying attention for a couple of

Reply to
Burgerman

Because one person spills it and it just stays there for you to walk in and spread it about. Petrol just evaporates away, thats why the nozzle and the floor and the pump are all messy.

And the gloves dont fit my feet well.

Reply to
Burgerman

No, really? I thought you were intelligent enough to work that out. I'll remember you're as thick as two short planks next time.

I thought you knew about engines?

I thought oil pressure had no relationship to engine stress?

But what the oil pressure does is give a good indication of the state of the crankshaft bearings.

REally? Why was the diff oil in my 77000 mile Capri black when I took it out?

Reply to
Conor

what would you be doing near a diesel pump then? :) I make sure that when I insert the zonnle I have it pointing upwards until it's close enough to get into the filler neck that way it all falls out into the filler and you may (possibly) get a ew extra pennies worth of fuel out of it :)

Reply to
dojj

wHY WOULD I EVEN SUSPECT IT ???? iTS UNRELATED.

i DO. you obviously are as clueless as all these boy racers.

It hasnt.

No idea, sombody put some old sump oil in it? Maybe it was a limited slip diff with worn friction material, but thats not a gearbox is it? I have no idea and as usual its a) probably only in your mind and b) imposible for carbon to get in there.

Clueless!!!!

Reply to
Burgerman

I was in passenger seat didnt get out. the smell was enough. in a 1 series yesterday (rattly noisey gutless estate type effort thing with nothing untill 2000 and then nothing again. Not mine I hasten to add. Is this one of these "modern" diesels? God I hope not!

Zonnle ????? Where did you insert this?

Reply to
Burgerman

And of course I dont believe you. Because I have yet to see black oil from a gearbox or diff in 30 years of serious mechanical messing about!

Reply to
Burgerman

Reply to
JackH

That was never under discussion, nor of interest, see post one again.

I never did. I simply quoted the pros and cons of each. YOU decided it was a personal assault on your choice!

Reply to
Burgerman

Are you guys trying to get this post past 1000 replies? :)

My next car will more likely than not be a small Tdi hatch. I need the economy, and want something small that can do 50 Mpg on average.

Not many people can afford to drive and run a turboed petrol car. The economy is even worse.

It seems that this whole post comes down to whether you want economy or performance. If you want economy you go for a Tdi. If you want performance go for a Petrol or Turboed Petrol car.

John

Reply to
John

Nope just trying to dispell a load of old myths using logic and mucho engineering knowledge!

Yep, as claimed in post 1

No, the post never even really mentioned cars, just the differences in terms of advantages and disadvantages of each.

Then a few non too bright individuals decided it was some sort of personal lifestyle attack!! Unable to seperate fact from belief and took it all personally!

And its been great fun taking the mickey out of the ones with no brain or vocabulary.

Reply to
Burgerman

Rubbish - real world driven enthusiastically is about 25% on an equivalent power output petrol engine. And the fuel is 5-10% dearer. So there's a saving but not the huge one you imply.

CO2 emissions are lower, again few cars are cheaper to tax than equivalent output petrols.

So is a petrol one.

But when you do you have to handle a smelly slimy diesel pump.

Now you're having a laugh! If it's cold enough then the fuel goes all waxy and hard and doesn't flow. And that icy cold block needs glow plugs to pre-heat the cylinders to get it to start.

Mine will go from 0-58 without a gearchange. Or from 10-125, or from 15 to

160. How flexible do you want? The reason you spend so much time in the same gear in the diesel is because it accellerates so slowly.

So compare them to turbo petrols. You can get up a hill easier in a turbo than in the equivalent non turbo engine because of the Torque. In a non-turbo petrol engine you use the additional RPM to generate the power to get up hills.

Eh?! That's just bull.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Diesel proponents claiming benefits other than fuel consumption utter bollocks all the time.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

After about 500 posts or so it seems there is no logical variation from post

1 so far. Just illogical badly reasoned "claims" and swearing!
Reply to
Burgerman

Which, let's face it, is exactly what you wanted. (c:

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I think he has issues.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Even worse than what? a non-turbo petrol car? LPT cars tend to be more economical than equivalent output NA cars.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp