Advantages v disadvantages of a diesel!!!

I did find, while looking for information for another stupid argument in another place, that marine diesels are now close to operating at the maximum possible thermal efficiency for an IC engine. Maximum possible based on an analysis of the Carnot cycle is 59%, current marine diesels achieve 52%. That's seriously good engineering.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Hey, if it's good enough for Channel 4....

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

nozzle oops :)

Reply to
dojj

Good for you. But just don't waste 6 or 7 grand in getting a car that'll do that. A Toyota Corolla D4D, 307 HDI or Civic CDTI *might* be marginally more economical than an Ibiza TDI, but they'll cost a *lot* more, whereas you could get an Ibiza TDI for not much more than £1500 that's still reasonably modern, and has a cracker of an engine that'll probably beat the rest in the economy stakes anyway (but then it's hardly a fair comparison as it's a class smaller than those).

Of course, you could just get an old Maestro TD with a long MOT, and if it fails the next one miserably on rust, ebay it and start again, or if you haven't done many miles and not needed to spend anything on it, just scrap it and find another. Much cheaper than buying anything even in the £1500 price bracket (well it is if you buy it with good tyres etc etc and don't need to spend a penny on it - even if you're that lucky with a £1500 car you're still fairly likely to lose a few hundred on it over the year, and buying a manky old Maestro saves you spending the extra in the first place).

Reply to
AstraVanMan

No, not really just wanted a quick fight but didnt figure how slow some people are. I should do by now but I always overestimate people!

Reply to
Burgermans other computer

There is, when you actually open your eyes and read what others have said since.

HTH

Reply to
JackH

It can... if you're talking out of your, lack of actual lengthy experience of the subject matter, in the real world, arse.

Reply to
JackH

Many of the points therein have since been dispelled in here... and your obvious bias was painting the subject matter blacker than even some of the smoke they chuck out from time to time!

That's not a nice thing to say to Dervy now, is it...

Reply to
JackH

Why? Rover 620 Ti - around £600.

Does not compute.

Reply to
Conor

So why are Turbo Diesel vans more economical than non Turbo ones?

Reply to
Conor

...and how much do you intend to spend, keeping it running? ;-)

Reply to
JackH

As usual you dont understand... NOBOBODY says they cant. I said a petrol in the same situation would do more or have less wear, and have the methodology explained very clearly and have no need to keep making claims like yours. A claim is not evidence! Its another testimonial...

Reply to
Burgermans other computer

The trouble is, your theories don't translate to real world experiences, so they remain theoretical.

But you're too stupid to acknowledge this.

Reply to
SteveH

Because you get the same power from a smaller motor and therefore get less frictional losses, and because you get less pumping losses with a turbo, as the induction cycle is not having to draw in air its pumped in via free exhaust gas power.

Thats three reasons.

If you just turbo the same engine (size) its debatable that you will gain any efficiency much that could be seen in practical situations. Efficiency gain would typically be a couple of percent through lowered pumpung losses on boost.

But the same applies to petrol too.

POWER is always more expensive - if you use it..

If you turbo any motor for fuel efficiency reasons you CAN gain some economy but not much, and if you use the extra power you use more fuel.

Dont know why I bother you dont understand all this anyway obviously.

Reply to
Burgermans other computer

Enlighten me if you are capable then I can laugh!

Reply to
Burgermans other computer

And into the lubrication system...

Reply to
Burgermans other computer

No not theoretical. If I drop a book I know it will fall without actually doing the test. Some things are so fundamental that everyone with a slight idea of how stuff works can see this, apart from those with their head in the sand desperately trying to save face, its almost as sad as all the insults and swearing in place of the reasoned arguments that some here are not capable of.

Right...

Reply to
Burgermans other computer

I've dropped some pretty manky looking gearbox oil out of both cars and bikes in my time. In addition, my oil in both cars and bikes tends to be pretty brown/black looking within a few hundred miles, if not less.

Reply to
SteveH

I understand completely... the fact we're discussing your initial post overall, you see... they way that no matter what others say, or have experienced, or have stated to the contrary, *every* last claim you made in that post, is correct, and that the whole car producing industry has in fact been misleading all of us, and they are in fact merely continuing to develop cars powered by ever more powerful diesel engines, just because they can.

Like I've said elsewhere, you had some more than valid points in that initial post... and then you spoilt it all by effectively sticking your head in the sand when others have passed any comment which doesn't quite tie up with your blinkered, biased point of view.

Reply to
JackH

Thats why bikes have short service intervals - good job they werent diesel or it would be soot black in half the time.

Reply to
Burgermans other computer