Advantages v disadvantages of a diesel!!!

But then you will just get a possibly biased sample of 1 which is just as useless as my piece of string! Since it makes f*ck all power for its huge size and weight, and has very advanced filtration system that cars dont the answer will be about 500,000 miles or more.

Reply to
Burgerman

More like you don't have a clue.

Reply to
Conor

WRONG

WRONG

Reply to
Conor

Was only a little 380 on the Merc. No idea but on the FM12 I currently drive, a gallon doesn't fill it from the empty mark on the dipstick to the full.

Figures for a MAN are:

11litre 420BHP 1863 ft/lb @ 900RPM.
Reply to
Conor

I drive many trucks. I don't get the same one two days running.

Reply to
Conor

I notice you are always on the defensive and very keen to tell me I am wrong but cant actually explain why, now I wonder why that could be....

Reply to
Burgerman

Well it could well be I am generalising as its a truck engine, and they are all pretty damned similar so I wont be far wrong....

Reply to
Burgerman

So my guess was so close as to not matter. And it makes even less than

50bhp per litrre WITH a turbo! No wonder it goes forever it doesent do anything! Thats what you call a boat anchor! I have tested bikes on the dyno with that much power from 1 litre! Wouldnt much matter what you had in the sump.
Reply to
Burgerman

*ding*

There's no reason at all to buy anything better than the Halfords range.

So why do you do it?

Reply to
SteveH

4-5 bar? Are you sure? that's a hell of a lot of boost and would need a big drop in compression ratio making the engine hugely innefficient off boost.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Because you can get Havoline semi and full synth cheaper at your local Asda IIRC. I know I was suitably impressed at the price of 5l of 5W50 from them last time.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Asda?

Pikey :-P

Reply to
SteveH

Conor driving a piece of string? That'd be wild to see.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Better than Scheiseland.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Peace of mind (just in case own brand happens to be crap (unlikely I know) and the fact that money is not an issue for me...

Reply to
Burgerman

I think he doesent understand the difference between 5 psi or 5 bar!!!

It cant be 5 bar as it makes considerably LESS than 50 bhp per litre!!!

About as good as a 1950 cement mixer then...

Reply to
Burgerman

Doubt he could tell the difference judging by his "engine" comments!

Reply to
Burgerman

Erm, you work for Iceland - whose very trade is based around being a pikey and downmarket shithole...

Still, one day you might step higher up the ladder and get to stack shelves in Farm Foods too !

Reply to
Lordy.UK

[snip]

The colour of the oil is largely irrelevant to how well it lubricates.

We change our oil every 5,000 miles, give or take a few hundred. It spends very, _very_ little time being a golden colour. There has been no difference in how quickly the oil loses the colour any of the fleet cars I've cared to check after a service nor in my own.

*cough* that point too?
Reply to
DervMan
[snip]

That comment is especially disappointing from somebody sitting in his ivory tower claiming to know all there is to know about engines.

Reply to
DervMan