Aldi Thursday specials look workshop friendly

I bought one of those identical compressors from aldi 5 years ago. They were ten squid cheaper then.

Once the blow off valve was replaced with a higher rated pressure one and a few better standard air outlets fitted and the pressure adjusted to 150 psi it works great. Still works great. Not too quiet though...

Reply to
Burgerman

Hmm, I fancy this:

Then I can practice NASCAR-style tyre changes on my drive ;) I'd have to do it on the Vectra though, the 306 has the wrong number of nuts lol

Reply to
Abo

I have the compressor and the Impact wrench, which are good. Have to be carefull about when I use them though as they're aren't exactly the most quiet tools around.

Quite fancy the ratchet one too.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I get mine here

As they often do deals/packs with cheap combos. Compressors are too expensive though.

Reply to
Burgerman

I'll be down their bright and breezy on Thursday morning. My old compressor has died and if the it comes with the huge accessory kit then it's a bargain (or is the accessory kit another £70? If so, not a bargain). OTOH their figures seem to be off - 27 litres per HOUR for a 2.5hp compressor?

Reply to
Doki

I noticed that too.

Wouldn't have thought so.

It looks identical to the one I bought last year and that has no trouble buzzing the impact gun along nicely.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I want mine for an air fed mask, so proper CFM figures would be nice. I reckon at 2.5hp it must bang out at least 8cfm.

Reply to
Doki

I'll be there, my compressor's regulator is fecked, a combined reg/oiler/water trap there for £20, bargain :)

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

Oh f*ck, I want all that air stuff and I'm not going to be able to get near an Aldi for a couple of weeks because of a completely off-the-wall work schedule.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I noticed that 27 litres/min is less than 1 cfm. A good compressor will do about 4cfm per hp so that compressor is giving about 1/10 th what it should do for the quoted power. Sounds like they may be quoting marketing HP based on some max instantaneous current during start-up as they were in the US a few year back. The compressor vendors there had their wrists slapped for telling porkies after they got taken to court by gullible buyers.

Reply to
David Billington

Organic beer?

TDM

Reply to
Tom De Moor

It won't be quiet. Masks need lots of air. What is your use for the mask ? Not 2 pack surely ?

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Aye. It worked fine off a compressor rated at 7CFM, and I'm not dead yet. OTOH the more sensible option may be to find some way of getting the big compressor outside and use the huge excess of air that produces for both gun and mask.

Reply to
Doki

Buy a cheap used smog pump off a VW - looks like a tiny roots blower. Run it off an old wiper motor or an old drill... You dont need 140 psi to feed a mask! 3 psi is enough without any restrictions and these do about 14... And much more than you need to breath... Feed its air via a small pipe through the wall or something. Quieter and no oil or other contamination probs.

I found a picture of one here. I supercharged a lawnmower with one 20 years ago...

Reply to
Burgerman

Fgot the link...

Reply to
Burgerman

It was the clean air from outside bit I was thinking about.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Get a Porche 911 one for 5,50!

Burgerman

Yes but compressors contaminate the air with oil and metal to a degree. And breath in workshop fumes. And you can make a neat little breathing air pump with any old car smog pump and take outside air quietly and with low pressure. Much cheaper and better than an extra compressor! Anyway its trick and confuses yer mates...

Reply to
Burgerman

Oh I missed that one. Hop Bine isn't a bad brew at all. But I wouldn't drive a compressor after a few. You can have to much dangerous fun with air tools and beer.

Reply to
Elder