Alfaholics Track Day

The best comments have been the most original, like, my XYZ car is far too fast for navigational rallies, that sort of thing.

AstraVanMan, fancy some alternative navigation rallying at some point? :-)

Reply to
DervMan

Alternative? What's that then - where we don't bring a map and just guess where we're going?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

You'll be wanting a beard and cardigan with leatherette patches before you do that kind of thing.

Reply to
SteveH

What? Driving without fully knowing where I'm going?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

LOL! We'll know where we going but it won't be timed, more like, measured...

Using the slide rule, the book says my diesel Saab can't go from Lands End to John O'Groats on a single tank of diesel, 68 litres...

Reply to
DervMan

That sounds like a really thrilling adventure...

Reply to
Iridium

Put like the above, I'd say it sounds pretty boring, actually.

On the other hand if Tim Kemp is going, baiting him so as to encourage him to accelerate briskly just so he'll run out of diesel three miles from John O'Groats, everybody taking part stopping off at the same place for a few beers and laughs in the evening, etc. etc. I can think or worse things to do. Like watching soccer I guess... :)

Throw in some raising money for charity and yeah it could be a laugh.

Reply to
DervMan

Beers with people on an economy rally, that's gonna be wild ;-) hehe.

Doesn't running out of Diesel make your engine break?

Reply to
Iridium

Meh. You could be going to an Alfa Romeo track day.

Possibly. Almost all diesels these days are described as "self bleed," but this should really be, "don't run out of fuel it's a pill to restart." That's also why most diesels with a trip / fuel computer have two low fuel warnings. The normal one and as an example, when the Saab gets down to three litres, it says, "Refuel now!" on the trip computer display.

Having run out of diesel before on a self-priming system it's a pain...

Reply to
DervMan

Oh and another point, it's less an economy drive than a personal challenge, if you see what I mean.

Reply to
DervMan

Oil all over the track takes the fun out it I'd imagine ;-)

Reply to
Iridium

On the contrary: marshals, the cleaning bunch and the other drivers love it.

Nothing quite as good to get the heartbeat up as engaging a corner on speed and seeing the tell-tale trail of a busted engine starting at the entrance (because that's where they blow on the downshift).

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Has anyone ever mentioned, you're a bit mental :-) ?

Reply to
Iridium

Pah. You sounds a bit... safe... yourself. ;)

Reply to
DervMan

You only like it cos oil on the track means less resistence and better economy heh.

Reply to
Iridium

Damn. I'd do so well if only it weren't for those pesky kids! :)

Reply to
DervMan