Where's the best offline to buy circlips in the UK?

I need to locate somewhere to buy a pack of assorted circlips (never have any when I need them).

And now I need one. Afer tweaking the wastegate rod, and having discovered that the original circlip was dust (literally), I used a small cable tie to hold the actuator rod onto the pin on the wastegate arm.

Well, this morning, poof, no power, gauges only showing turbo reaching atmospheric. let it all cool down, and checked the wastegate rod.

The cable tie had slipped off and the rod had become detached. Now I don't want this happening again, especially mid overtake, so I need to find somewhere that sells circlips, or someother kind of (maybe easier to remove when needed) safety clip that will fit in the arm pin groove, and hold the hold properly.

Any help gladly accepted.

Cheers.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Offline?? Wassthat?

Ok, choices are Halfords (small pack @ large price), or an old fashioned motor factor (you know, the ones with the old guy behind the counter who tells you how he remembers customising his herald and how fast it used to go).

Alternatively you could order 17113 from for £9.

Reply to
Grunff

Reply to
saabtech

Bloody halfords parts counter gimps said "Whats a circlip" when I asked after I couldn't see any on the little fixings rack they have.

Will try again.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Cheers Tom. couldn't see the hole, mind you I was working by touch a bit.

Should have one somewhere after swapping the calipers and pads. Will try to dig one out. Wonder if I could fit a split pin wrapped round instead too, have a nice selection of those in different sizes.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

You remember the old days, when you would visit a shop in person, talk to grumpy old bugger, and feel good about, and real paer or metal money would change hands, and you knew you had the right part because he was grumpy old bugger because he had spent all his younger years memorising parts catalogues for everycar ever produced, instead or being out drinking and whoring with his other fellow young men (I won't say friends because he didn't have any due to his studies).

nowadays though, you get some young pleb who wouldn't know a parts catalogue if it bit you in the ass, who clicks a mouse, and tells "you you want one of those" you ask if he can get the original manufacturers part number comparison to check, and he says "He can't because the computer doesn't carry it" but inreality he is monumentally hung over from too many nights drinking and whoring, safe in the knowledge that he will never become a real grumpy old parts man, and also safe in the knowledge that what he has ordered for you might fit, but if it doesn't then they always have the 20% restock fee for special order parts.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

"MeatballTurbo" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net...

I think a relative of Bob Marley fixed my old Audi and changed oil on my Saab recently. 'Nuff said.

Kristian

Reply to
Kristian Steve Jensen

Try rswww.com (or something like that) .

Reply to
The Brown & Ollis-Brown Family

use a straightened out paper clip, push it throught then bend it around

Reply to
ANDREW NELMES

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Bloody obvious really, don't know why I didn't think of that.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@nospam.btinternet.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Hmm, don't think they do same day. But otherwise good call, except I think they have a £30 minimum order. But found some locally.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@bouncing-czechs.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Got some External Circlips, E-Clips and R pins locally.

Altogether came just over £3 for small mixed packs of all three, pricey for what it is, but enough to get me through what I need.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

They do if you have a local Trade Centre

Reply to
The Brown & Ollis-Brown Family

Same thing happened to mine, I nicked one of my wife's large safety pins, which fitted a treat and is still going strong.

A Saab master-tech once mentioned that they are a dealer-only item due to being an unusual size or something, although I never investigated further after my safety pin solution.

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Cole

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.NOSPAM.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Well, I found a E-Clip after Toms suggestion in the local autofactors in a small mixed pack, and some R pins like you find in the front brake caliper. Between those two, I managed to put something "Belt and Braces" together.

Should hold. Will have a double check today, when i have a look at fluid levels and tyre pressures.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Meatball, Was just looking for something else and rediscovered these guys - Namrick -

I've bought stuff from them before. They are fast and reliable and prices are not OTT.

HTH Adrian

Reply to
SAABurger

By the way, circlips are in "Odds and Ends".

Reply to
SAABurger

Not far from me. Recommended. Although, obviously, I don't know what their mail order is like

Reply to
SW

Shall check them out cheers. local autofactor had a nice big rack of odds and sods (bolts washers clips, pins etc) got what I needed, but will have a looksee at Namrick.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo