Attn Carl (t'other one)

A mate has just bought a 136 Rapide (or something like that). Can you suggest any ways of getting some crazy bits for rallying?

Did you find out where that scrappy in Somerset was?

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

OK, for real rally parts.

John will sort you out, enquire about price, get the money to him, get bits next time he is in the UK, but he can take a while. AVO and spax still do shocks and springs. A place somewhere in Birmingham called something like Autosport can do things like cam re-grinds/lightening/balancing etc, know Skodas and are pretty cheap. Needforspeed have quite an extensive section for Skodas
(says 130, but they do for the 136 as well). Also
used to be the owners club forum, but there is some changing going on so you should be able to register as a non-member. Also various ford fitment 2 choke downdraft webers fit with an opened out manifold, and some rejetting.

Wheel fitment is VW beetle, so you could bolt skinny/wider than stock VW

15" steels straight on, and get some better quality tyres in a decent profile.
Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Cheers mate, I've passed on the message. This is there car he's bought in case you're interested:

Carl Gibbs

Does he know it was an insurance write off previously? Darrel who uses the Skoda forum sold it to a guy who has thrown the toys out claiming he wasn't told. The guy then ebays it mentioning it was sold with a VIC to show it was properly repaired. It doesn't sell. So he ebays it again, mentions repair, but not write off or the VIC. It will be properly repaired, it was Darrels, but just so your mate knows.

It will be a good solid basic car, and tell him not to f*ck it completley, there are supposedly something like 45 taxed registered rapids left in the UK+what ever people have in their barns and garages as projects they will never finish. Keep this one going too.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

I have no idea if he knows it's whole history, but he's not worried it its not perfect or about its history (you should see what he drives now :)).

He will look after it, but it will probably get driven quite hard, in fact it'll probably be doing an informal autotest on sunday.... I'll make sure I mention the rarity of it when I speak to him next though!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Nowt wrong with driving hard and competing in them. Just keep it legal and on the road.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

His reply: Don't worry; I'm not going to wreck it. I know they're rare. I'll do 12 cars and scatters in it but only when I know how to drive it properly and hopefully (been ok so far touch wood) it won't end up in a hedge. Cars are meant to be driven though and I'm intending to use it as my daily driver (64 miles/day). I think its better for a car to be used and I do appreciate its rarity.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Nice one. Tell him to treat it like a 911, if going to fast, don't back off mid corner, boot it. If you back off they don't just lift off oversteer, they snap oversteer. The old swing axle models were slightly tamer and you could 4 wheel drift them. The semi trailing arm models hold on longer then go without warning.

If he needs to change the brake fluid, there is a trick to bleeding them, each front caliper has 3 nipples and they need to be done in the correct order (my old 120 only had twin pots, so didn't have this problem).

If the brakes seem wooden, there is a long braided cotten vac hose that runs from the servo at front, to the manifold at the rear. Get the front lifted, and check it for hissing leaks. If it is leaking, remove the hose, save two of the best lengths (or get some new re- inforced VAC hose), you need about 3 feet at the front, and about a foot at the rear, then replace the rest with 10mm copper microbore hose from B&Q, tucked into the centre tunnel and carefully routed arround the rear suspension. After bleeding, and replacing that hose, the 4 pot fronts, and 9" drums at the rear with feel so good.

I think MG Metro turbo pads fit the front, and Mintex still make rear shoes.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2