big block v8's BMW E36 diffs

Did you go for the 4 branch stainless steel manifold/downpipes? Where did you get them from, I could do with a nice fabricated manifold?

TIA

Reply to
Dave

I do hope a Dolly wasn't killed in the process of trying to achieve the impossible of making a nice FIAT?

Going to need a Sprint rear end myself at some point, but it's to go back on a Triumph :)

Reply to
Stuffed

I very much doubt it, 'cos it won't have been done.

The original question was how to mount the engine in the back - now, once it's been pointed out that there's no way he's done that in the time he's had, it's suddenly switched to front engined.

Anyone who's looked in the engine bay of a Punto will know that this just won't fit. Not in the slightest.

Reply to
SteveH

no steve cars sitting atm with no front end (ie inner/outer wings any of the front panels etc

this weekend was spent mainly trying to get said engine in place as well as provide a xmember to mount it on

if in doubt pics up soon

either that or watch for stories in the sun about hooligan boyracers in a 4 litre punto sticking it into the previous list of objects :)

Reply to
Rob

Any fool and angle-grind off some panels.

Yeah, yeah, get the pics. I have the feeling that if I embarked on a project like this I'd have pics of every stage. Strangely, you don't.

Didn't you used to have an Escrote RS Turd-o? Which says it all, really.

I'm bored now. Get the pics and I might be interested again.

Reply to
SteveH

Didn't you used to have an Escrote RS Turd-o? Which says it all, really.

this coming from a man who's into alfa's c'mon try a proper car then come back to me :)

as for the punto bear in mind my motto

Funtion over form it dont need to look pretty so it dont

Reply to
Rob

You haven't really thought this one through, have you?

wheres the fun in that?

panels will go back on

sort of :)

should be finished shortly

all there is left to do now is bodge the front end back together weld on the engine mounts weld up the gaping holes in the floor where the gearbox decided it wanted somo more room oh yeah then theres the small matter of aradiator and a hunt for a nice leccy fan

then its on the trailer and up to enco to get the propshaft made up

as you say yourself steve any idiot can take an angle grinder and welder to a car so nothings impossible to the masses

but owning an alfa.............

that takes a "special" person :) :) :)

i only jest steve

had a play with alfas once old alfasud bucket of poo :) great little engine pity bout the rest of the car :)

in fact heres one for you did alfa use the same bellhousings throughout the production range? ala ford and vaux(to an extent) got me thinking here

Reply to
Rob

Jesus. You don't know a lot, do you?

Reply to
SteveH

tell you what steve i'm enjoying this sparring

get me on msn

amsterdam snipped-for-privacy@msn.com

Reply to
Rob

Jesus. You don't know a lot, do you?

well???

yes or no

i know they changed engines recently to the iron fiat lumps but alfa's aint my thang more a supermarket hot rod kinda guy :)

Reply to
Rob

They didn't recently change engines to the Fiat based lump - that happened way back in 1996. The 4-cylinder lumps all have the same basic block and 'box. Hence the bellhousing is the same. Apart from the Selespeed, which is very different. The manual 'box etc _should_ be shared with the Bravo / Brava / Marea / Coupe. As is the 'box (with different bellhousing) on the 8 valve 155s.

Later JTS lumps are different.

Earlier Alfa Twin-Cam lumps came in FWD and RWD forms. FWD had the same transversely mounted 4-pots in 164 and 155 applications. Earlier Alfetta-based cars had a rear transaxle with the same 8-valve Twin-cam as the early 155 and all the 4-pot 164s.

V6s are a different kettle of fish - apart from Alfetta based V6s - this transaxle set up is interchangeable between all Alfetta based cars. The transaxle came in LSD and non-LSD form.

I'm pretty sure the diesel JTDs use the same 'box as the JTS, and hence the Fiat JTDs. Don't know the score with the new Multijet engines - but they probably share a bellhousing and 'box with the JTS / JTD cars.

Sud based cars are, obviously, totally different.

Reply to
SteveH

So a bit more than "with the punto nearly completed(just waiting on the new manifolds to arrive)". Sounds more like a chopped up Punto shell with a V8 hanging by a crane in the front. Aren't the manifolds something that would have to be made on the car to get them to fit, can't see you being able to phone someone up and buy a set of manifolds for a V8 Punto off the shelf.

Reply to
Homer

I bet the beardmore brothers are cacking themselves ;-)

Bob Sherunckle

the manifolds dont matter

its the rest of the exhaust that needs fabricating

and no the engines not still on the hoist

its in the car mounted up (barely)

just waiting on the wife to ok the pennies for the prop from enco and all will be cushty

Reply to
Rob

Or as soon as you've blown it from the V8. The Sprint axle's not bad at all, but I wonder if the torque of a V8 being dumped through it would be a touch too much for the standard item?

Reply to
Stuffed

Oh good - that means a longitudinally mounted V8 and it's manifolds doesn't foul the suspension turrets on a Punto then ? Mmmmmm............. What happened to the bulkhead ? How did you get the strength back in there ?

Pictures please ? Even if it's just showing the hacked about bodyshell with the V8 hanging in it ?

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I've been following John's progress for a couple of years with the new project, am I the only one to be "underwhelmed" by the finished article ? If I'd spent thatmuch time and money the last thing I'd want it to look like would be a moggie... ;(

Reply to
Tony Bond

A wide moggie, but still looks like a moggie. I like what's under the surface right enough !

P.S. Update your website - or have you stalled.......................

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Me too, loads of ideas :)

Started again last weekend, brake plumbing needs finishing then it'll drive. Only bodywork to do then really.

Not done owt this weekend 'cos we only got back from Stoneleigh this afternoon, good do, but soggy 'specially when camping ;)

Reply to
Tony Bond

Pete M raved thus:

:: Merc is EFI, but it's early 80's EFI so should be easy enough to get :: it to plumb into the Capri. None of this catalytic "oooh, save the :: planet" bollocks on my motors :-D

Just run 4 twin downdraught Webbers and have 8 stacks poking through the bonnet. It'd sound nice but dunno where you'd get the header from...

Reply to