bloke didn't buy the Celsior, so I'm considering a chop in.

Ha, never even noticed that. LOL.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

They're a bit long in the tooth now, but a late Mk3 (petrol at least), makes good bangernomic sense if you find one in reasonable order.

The SRi models have however started to appreciate price wise - pre ecotect SRis had about 15bhp more than the equivalent cooking 2.0 8v.

Ecotec wise, all 2.0 16v models came with, IIRC, 136bhp.

Avoid the turbo... not that many are left now, but anything worth having is generally in the =A33k+ territory.

The V6... hmmm... I probably wouldn't, given the 2.0 isn't that much slower, does more to the gallon and is more reliable - at worst, these tend to periodically need a new cam and crank sensor.

I'd have one over an early Vectra any day, let's put it that way.

That's exactly what I had as my 'bitch' when I was dragging Rovers all over the South East with a towing dolly - it was surprisingly economical, and it had plenty of poke up hill no matter how much weight was on the back.

Great car really... used and abused it constantly, and it never broke down.

Owed me relatively f*ck all and more than earned its keep - used to lob oily bits in the back with little concern for the seats, and they still scrubbed up nice for when I sold it on to a mate who ended its days on his farm, bangering it around a field. :-)

In our experience of doing things like the above, old Pox-halls tend to be really resilient and make for a good days trashing.

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

You're starting to sound like SteveH :-)

I'd agree with that.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

SRi saloons handled quite well an all.

and the transfer box is about half that if you properly kill it..

Nice engine for a Cav though.

I despise Vectras.

My brother had a 2.0 8v GLi Cav Mk3 on a G plate when he was a lowly rep.Went well in a straight line and was ok on the motorway but at the time it wasn't a bad thing. Felt a lifetime better than the Mk2 SRi it replaced. Was good on fuel as well.

I don't like any of the FWD Vauxhalls, matter of personal taste, but I have got a soft spot for Monzas, Senators and 24v Carltons.

Reply to
Pete M