Bollocks....

Auto 'box in the Rangie has bit the dust.

ZF Auto 'boxes man, they blow goats.

Similar box to the one they use in BMWs, ZF HP22. Same problem.

"Bzzzzzzzzztweeeeeeeeeee zuh zuh zuh zuh" instead of 1st gear.

Unimpressed, I am.

Reply to
Pete M

You off the road with it totally now? Can't you manually select second, take off, then shift into drive?

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

It got me back from Wales this afternoon happily enough but I suspect it's a better idea to just park it up until the weekend and change the 'box. It will get first gear after a few seconds (provided I manually select it) then I have to select 2, then 3, then D to be able to move without the 'orrible noises.. Shifting straight into drive provides nothing in the way of motion unless it's doing about 15 mph. Box changes up and down happily unless speed drops below about 15 then it's "Bzzzzzt" time again..

Pissed me off as it was the star vehicle for Liverpool Land Rover Society this weekend at Woodvale.

Reply to
Pete M

Just put it on the roofrack of a 101 and take pride of place!

Reply to
Douglas Payne

"Pete M" wrote in message news:f8r7fc$9ka$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

i was gonna by my E36 in auto form but got put off by peoples stories of it failing. mind you i also wanted a 5 speed auto and they did do them right near the end of the E36 run but finding one aint easy! mind you they probably broke too :) auto box on a rangie can't be cheap!

Reply to
Vamp

Yes, but taking the old 'box out is probably pretty simple and there's almost certainly plenty of room to reach everything necessary.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Speaks the man who has probably never done it !

The box on a Range Rover is bigger and heavier then the engine and gearbox in your average hatchback.

Reply to
Geoff

Seem to be loads on Ebay - and go for not a lot.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Edited for accuracy.

Reply to
Elder

I have changed an autobox, but not on a Range Rover, on a large RWD saloon. I'll not say it was easy, but it was pretty simple.

I've seen Range Rover autoboxes on a workshop floor, the Hill Rally chap they belonged to preferred them to manuals.

The 'Box on my Carlton was a case of undoing 2 pipes and about 10 or 14 bolts including 2 crossmembers and the propshaft before it fell unceremoniously to the floor.

I kind of just assumed the RR'd be relatively simple to change given the amount of room around everything Land Rover seem to give you compared to most mainstream hatchback manufacturers.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Got to be worth a punt, good luck !

Reply to
Geoff

They are not *that* bad to do.

I prefer manual, but it's horses for courses.

The big thing is the weight, on my Suzuki's I can have the box out in half a hour and lift it with one hand. Range Rover is 1/2 day and that is with a 4-post lift and gearbox stand.

Reply to
Geoff

Excellent. You can then overhaul the original at your leisure. They're good fun to do, autos, and you'll be one up on most if you do.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)