Bonded glass

I'm pondering buying a 205 with a rather faded boot lid, which will need a spray if compound doesn't magic it to life. I'm being given quotes of anything from £120 to £400.

One guy said that the rear window needs to come out to do the job properly. That I can believe. He made it sound as if it's like rocket science, as it's bonded, and would need a new seal. That I can't believe.

What is actually involved in removing and replacing such a window? I might do that part of the job myself.

And how much do you think is reasonable to pay for the overall task?

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

Is it like, a minter or something? A good nick GTi? Because surely there can't be many 205s left around worth as much as the spray job quotes! When i had the rear of the 405 sprayed they just masked the windows up...

Reply to
DanTXD

I'll preface my answer by admitting that I haven't a clue. That said, unless this is a concours-spec 205, is the difference between removing the window to do it properly, and simply masking it off really worth it?

The 1-2mm edge adjacent to the seal isn't likely to be very noticeable unless you look for it, especially if you are respraying in original colour, and given the market value of 205 these days I would wonder if it's worth all the extra cost and effort?

I have a friend who put a wooden door in the back of his 205, on edge, then shut the tailgate. The tailgate glass hit the corner of the door as it swung down, and popped out neatly. He just prised it back in and it was still like that a year or so later when he stuffed the car into a tree - as far as I know it was o.k., but I can't swear that it sealed perfectly or anything.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

If the glass is bonded, its an UTTER PIG to remove. i.e. almost impossible to do without breaking the glass. (I speak from experience) £120 sounds cheap to spray, 400 is too much, but if that was to replace and refit glass on the assumption that it could smash when trying to remove it, then its not such a crazy price.

Have a go on a spare boot lid.. lol

probably quite alot, but then it would look too good for the rest of the car!

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Decent bodyshops have Autowindscreens or similar come round to pop windows in and out for them. When I worked at an insurance assessors, prices for glass in and out over about £30 or so would have resulted in someone ringing up and tellign the garage to stop taking the piss. An autoglass place will tell you if the rear screen glass is bonded in, but I doubt it is. It's a relatively modern thing - look at the tailgate of a Ka or a MK3 Polo and you can see that the glass goes all the way to the edge of the tailgate - that's got to be bonded. Look at the tailgate of a MK2 Golf and you'll see it's held in with a rubber seal. It's not structural like a windscreen...

Reply to
Doki

That sounds like it's not bonded then - I think the OP should look closely at the rear window, it shouldn't take long to figure out if it's bonded or not (bonded ones are a real pain). TBH I would have figured it wasn't bonded - it's a rear hatch window on a 205!

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

Its not modern. Nissan Micra from 1982 on all had bonded in rear screens..

Reply to
Ed

Note the word relatively. MK2 Polos are from 90 something onwards... Very few hatches now have rubber sealed rear screens whereas 15 years ago...

Reply to
Doki

There is that. I was just curious to see what people think.

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

That is just *so* 205 GTi! ;)

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

You need a special tool to cut it out. You then need a special mastic and a special gun to apply it for refitting.

About £75 per window for removal and refitting.

Reply to
Conor

Indeed. I'll start a Golf thread soon when I've finished the brakes on my Golf. Time and weather are making progress slow, and the new discs and hub cap already have a nice coating of flash rust on. I assume it doesn't matter too much and don't plan to sand it off.

I will need to to remove the glass from my cancer-ridden Golf tailgate and put it in the mint tailgate from the breakers. This is, as you say, held in with a seal, but my understanding is that it isn't easy.

I seem to attract 80s hot hatches with boot issues.

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

Interesting. Any idea how much the tools cost?

For the record, I've perused the photos, and I don't think there is a seal as with my Golf, so it seems the window *is* bonded.

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Conor wrote something quite bizarre, possibly in an effort to confuddle the world. It went like so;

That's about £50 too much.

I normally pay my local window fittage bloke no more than £25 to remove / refit bonded windows.

A normal punter shouldn't pay more than £50.

Reply to
Pete M

Mine needs doing too. I may get a new seal and cut the old one out, if VW don't quote me joke prices. If not, I'm getting a window fitter to do it for me.

Reply to
Doki

BTW: Is it red? My mrs' 106 was red and faded a lot. And compounded back up.

Reply to
Doki

Nah, it's black. Compound is definitely the first option, nothing to lose...

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

The rear screen on a 205 IS bonded in but there is also a rubber seal that goes over the top of it. If you remove the rubber seal you should be able to spray to the edge of the screen however because the seal will cover the crevice up. I had mine removed to be painted cost about £70 in the end I think it was.

Reply to
Michael Pace

Was going on an Autoglass callout fee.

Reply to
Conor

Its not the tools that are the issue but the skill.

Reply to
Conor