Brake disc drilling

Nope. I'm not familiar with the setup, but no way will the hub be located by the holes in the disc. It is just not sound engineering. The central bore of the disc will be used to locate it.

so they'll need to

I would say the only difference between the usual setup, where the disc is fitted to a flange on the front of the hub, and retained by the wheel, is that the pic appears to show that the disc is bolted to rear of the hub. It will be still be located in the conventional way by it's central bore. *not* by it's retaining bolts. What it would mean is that the hub needs to be removed in order to remove or fit new discs. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I'm following it as I intend fitting rear discs to the SD1. I've already upgraded the fronts to XJS ones which is a great success.

I found a site which gave the dimensions of pretty well all discs fitted to production cars - diameter, offset, centre hole size, bolt hole spacing etc. And bookmarked it. But can't remember what it was called.

I'll try and find if it's any use to you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

TBH thinking a touch more, I wouldn't worry at all, as long as I were having new holes drilled rather than elongating the holes.

Reply to
Doki

Yebbut the torque created by the brakes would have to go through the wheel bolts, not the centre bore or the puny screw holding the brake disks on...

Reply to
Doki

Fairly sure that the Volvo 4-series used the same bolt pattern.

The ordinary 440's used solid disks but the 480 and Turbo had ventilated items. Any Volvo-recup will have them kicking around as well as wheels and calipers.

The other cheap ways of brake upgrade is having them to work less hard or improvong cold air flow around. Putting an airhose from the frontbumper to the caliper and shedding weight from the car.

Nope: I won't ask why you need a brake upgrad on a Volvo 360.

Good luck anyway.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Yeah, i'm sure you're probably right. I think it's going to be a case of getting some Capri discs, taking the 360 brakes apart and seeing what can be done. but I know what i'm looking for now, so thats a start :_

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

The problem is that the Volvo 3x0 disks are very shallow compared to the type that fit over hub - 29mm compared to 50mm or so on a lot of more modern stuff. It's a bit of a funny design somewhere more akin to drum brake mounting, and only seems to be around on old tanks :D.

Reply to
Doki

IIRC he's putting a 2.3 Turbo in it :)

Reply to
Iridium

Got 480 Turbo vented calipers / discs - dont work. The wheel PCD may be the same, but the disc PCD isn't.

Done that - got more open mk2 GLT alloys plus foglights removed to provide more air flow. But I still dont like the idea of 239mm solid discs stopping a 360 (~1200kg). I've managed to get them to fade before, so as the front needs replacing now I'm keeping the car it seems the ideal tim for upgrading!!

Why not :)

Ta!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Nah not any more. Sold the 2.3 engine to a mate, so I could concentrate on the V8. just doing a bit of cheap fettling on the 360 now I'm gonna be using it again (sold the T5 at the weeknd, so I'm without a road legal car!)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Woah! 239mm, solid and 1200kg!!! That must get hairy hehe.

Reply to
Iridium

What puny screws? The pic doesn't actually show how the disc is attached to the hub. It certainly won't be attached by the small screw or screws that are used to hold a conventional 'top hat' disc in place whilst changing a wheel etc. Mike

Reply to
Mike G

I've got one too saved somewhere. But yeah if you could find it that would be useful!!

Thanks

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Well in my old one I managed to reduce a set of M1144 pads to crumbling, warp the discs, destroyed the shoes and melted the wheel cylinder seals. It suffers with heat problems :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Hahah I bet! Mine weights only a fat guy more than that, and I have 330mm vented discs, and 4 pot calipers hehe!

Reply to
Iridium

Dave Plowman (News)

That's indeed usefull info...

Two AP-discs and Carl's car has tripled in value.

2 AP-calipers fitted and he has to find a shed because the car becomes an open invitation for nicking.

TDM

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Lets face it, a full tank of petrol and Carl's car has tripled in value... ;-)

Actually I really like the 440i I had once - it was way faster than the Clio it replaced, more comfortable, about the same on petrol, and about half the price to insure.

Huh?

Reply to
PCPaul

At that rate of multiplications it's going to be tuff to get insurance!

Oetsj, now you are leaning over to the black side!

TDM

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Ah, but I can now place a 'Drifters tex' on the 360, meaning it's worth at keast 2 tanks of petrol!!

FWD, Renault engined nancy cars! Real men have RWD, transaxles and big rubber spoilers!!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs