Brake disc drilling

You describe my first car...: the same as in the film, also white, "limousine"-spec but no sunroof.

It seems that you forgot the 7mm steel U-beam behind the trendy rubber bumpers, the second gear that never was, the starter motor that regulary had to be hammered into action...

But then... I was younger, cash was hard to come by as the Army didn't pay that well for a junior officer but it beated walking.

Strong car, never broke down so that I couldn't fix it: bushes, steering house, exhaust, leaking 1 liter of oil a week... but unlike the snob that JC has become, it had 82 horses and they could run. Find a long descent and you saw 180 on the speedo. You had to grip the steer though, a straight line became somewhat of a wave at speed and you scared people... those in the rear seats were scared *and* sick. It handled a bit barge-like :-)

I've got 3 great memories of that car: the first with a friend going to demolish a gardenshed. We were paid for that. Drove the car through. The owner could not comprehend how things got sorted so quick but we got our money nevertheless :-)

The second is with the army in Germany, winter of 1990. Cold: -18 celsius. As we were on exercice (scaring those Russians away ;-) ) our cars stayed in the open parkinglot at home base. Upon returning on Friday the carpark was but heaps of snow. Dug into the FSO, inserted the key and turned it. The only car there which roared into life was mine :-)

The third was still in the army going shopping at an American base at Wiesbaden, about 270 km from our base. Things (electronics) were taxfree there and cheap: we as Nato-troops had acces. I came back with that car

270 kms, 5 men in it, 2 big hifi-installations with the speakers as big as a house which we tied to the roof (no gallery) with a rope (officers in an Engineering Batallion know how to fix something with ropes), a big television set and a desktop computer.

When we arrived at our base in Koln, we were halted by the Muppets (MP or Military Police). I expected to receive a ticket but it turned out that our CO had warned the Muppets of our coming: we got escorted for 50 km, photographed and starred with the car in the Army Gazette.

Had the car for a year, put 30 kkm on it, last months it was the towcar of the racetrailer. Pulled without complaints, remember: second gear never worked , must have stayed in Poland. Last race coming back, I lost all gears except for 5-th. Detached the trailer and drove the car to the wrecker.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Why is it, even though we know technically our first cars were shit - we still look back on them and would still buy them back today? My first car was a Triumph Acclaim 1.3 HL - Manual, 5 speed, 1.3 twin carb, MW/LW radio - one speaker. I'd buy it back :-p

Reply to
Iridium

I yearn for a Peugeot 205 Diesel.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Tom De Moor wrote of FSO Polonezes

Heheh.

I probably won't find it funny tomorrow.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

And I can thank the UK importers for a nice set of 5 alloy wheels fitted to my AH sprite thanks to a FSO Polonez being broken.

Reply to
David Billington

Because they were the first.

Would buy my first real GF back too ;-)

TDM

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Well it just so happens I know of one for sale :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

My first car was a 1930 Austin 7 Swallow convertible. I'd certainly buy it back, but doubt I could afford it even if it were offered to me. Turns out it was quite a rare model. Even when I had it. In good running order I can't see it selling for less than 10k. Probably much more.

Another one I'd like to have today is my old 1934 Packard 2 seater convertible with a dicky seat. RH drive with the accelerator pedal in the middle. A few years ago an identical model was auctioned at Beulieu. It sold for £130,000. Very similar to this one

Mike G

And sito presto he yearns less. ;-)

TDM

Reply to
Tom De Moor

LOL! True.

Problem is, I have a car that I am rather enjoying. I don't have any income to speak of at the moment and I don't have anywhere to keep 2 cars.

Carl's car is also about 7million miles away, in a land made of half lemonade, half beer.

These are only excuses.

Perhaps I should revise my statement to "If I was looking for an entertaining, cheap as chips to run car that I am familiar with then I'd definately consider a Peugeot 205 Diesel." (c:

I wonder how it would fare in the Hillclimb...

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Things will only get better.

There are some who are going to like you for beer/lemondade remarque!

Now I just have to work out where you are: 7 million miles ... Either Carl's car is extra-terrestrial either you.

Quick check: are women complicated around you? If so: you must be on Earth!

Les excuses sont faites pour s'en servir.

In not-frog-language: excuses are there to be used.

Bad but it would definitely do better in Hilldrop.

Cheers!

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

I did work out the other day that the 205 has enough miles on it to get to the moon and about a quarter of the way back :)

Dunno about a hillclimb, but it's eligible for Enduro rallying :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

My 205:

had done 195k. That's about 8 laps of the equator. How much is yours and what nick is it in?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Yeah, I'm pretty confident that the will - thanks. (c:

When they do, I'll probably be looking at upgrading from the MX-5 I have at the moment - not buying any sort of 205. It's nice to have the memories.

Yeah I was trying to get a reaction out of Carl. He is more Zen than I gave him credit for.

Well he is in the Southampton area and I live near Glasgow. The distance is officially too far as soon as I reach England.

I try to remain optomistic - at least I don't live in Wales.

That's a good check, although do you know of another planet where this is not the case? I'll have a ticket to there please!

I'd just need someone with the same car to compete in the same events with me.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

307k miles, £200, tax, MoT and shit loads of work done (notably clutch, driveshafts, rad, cambelt). Plus Dturbo interior (velour bucket seats with matching 4 door cards), GTi steering wheel and 106 wheel trims. This car is THE NUTS!

Carl Gibbs

/nods/ Sweet ride, dude.

Reply to
Albert T Cone