Brakes

Is there a way of finding out if a brake caliper manufacturer (in this case Girling) made a vented-disc version of a solid-disc caliper?

If not i'm looking at a homemade setup involving Golf GTi discs and calipers from god-knows what, which i'd rather not do!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

On the SD1, the difference is a spacer between the halves of the calliper.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Something tells me thats not going to work on these!

Although some Bendix calipers (eg on a 205), you can just unbolt the pad holder bit and bolt a longer one on. TBH i havent even looked at the calipers closely enough to see if thats possible. If so i may be able to get something made up.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

ring up the tech department and ask them, they are lazy mind so make em do it, if that fails go into an auto parts place and ask to look at their disc catalogue, it should list the specs of the disc under application.

Reply to
Theo

I'd try giving Eurocarparts head office a ring - they have some pretty knowledgeable guys there about all sorts of mods to the makes they cover.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The vented-disc version of your solid-disc caliper, is whatever is fitted to the Volvo with vented-discs - it may not be a Girling though.

Easiest way to sort it, is to just swap the whole caboodle. And if you can't find one in a knackers yard, you'll probably find the brand-new callipers aren't expensive - they're a few tens of quids for a lot of older cars.

In fact, they're £40 each brand-new from EuroCarParts for the Volvo 340 - looks like they only have one variety though. They can't have all been solid discs - surely ? If so, then see what other Volvo calipers will fit, and buy them appropriately.

Reply to
Nom

Getting fade in the 360? Are the 239mm disks like the rest of the range? I'm suffering from not quite as hard as I'd like braking at the moment, but reckon it's time for a set of disks and pads rather than the calipers.

Reply to
Doki

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Do the 4pots from the 2** series or an austin princess not go on?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Nom, thats the most useless answer i've had :)

I was asking that specific question because no Volvo came with the vented version of my caliper, which is why i wanted to know if it was made in the first place. All 300 brakes are solid. there are many different combinations that will fit with a bit of home ade bracketry, but i wanted to avoid that if possible.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

They do with a bit of bodging. But IMO it will also require a new master cylinder, and i was trying to keep the cost down. My next option is the brakes from a 400 as the stud pattern is the same, the pads look very similar, so i'm hoping the caliper will be similar enough to put on my hub.

However until i can confirm that will work i may just stick a set of EBC Greenstuff in, give it a fluid change and see what happens. But TBH i dont hold much hope that 239mm solid disks will be up to the job

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Tried Need for Speed today as their site is very comprehensive on brake stuff (diagrams, pictures, dimensions etc) but they couldnt help. May try ECP tmrw. Cheers

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Pah :)

Reply to