disco brakes

I'm sure I've already asked this one, but I forget the answer; however, I'm actually going to be doing this soon, so...

1) If I want to make our disco one into vented front discs, then do I just need the vented discs and the appropriate calipers? (the existing calipers are in need of either replacement or major overhaul, so spacer kit not really appropriate)?

2) Do the vented type ones use the same pads as the later solid type ones, i.e. the pads with 2 oval holes in the tops - corresponding to DA4157 it says on the one box, or LP481 on the Lockheed box. I've a choice of unused spare pads: one set of EBC green and one set of lockheed; so fitting calipers/discs which aren't compatible wouldn't really be all that sensible.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Hi,

AFAIK you can use non vented pads with the vented disks/calipers. Remember to buy new pads retaining kit since the shafts on those are longer so as to accomodate for the wider calipers.

Spacers and a set of seals and new pistons may prove to be significantly cheaper than new vented calipers but then again our friend Beamends may do his magic by offering something interesting.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

OEM Snorkels for Defender 200Tdi or 300Tdi/Td5 for =A368.15 inc VAT?

Oh, I see what you mean ;-)

(Well, you've got to try......)

The STC9191 and ST9190 pads we have in are identical, except that one is Lockheed and one is Mintex. However, it's not like the LR aftermarket to list and stock two parts when one will do, so I suspect there is a difference in the friction material that may be significant.

Other than that, as Austin says, the fitting kit is the only visible difference apart from the spacer on axles with the STC9191 type calipers - which I think have metric fixings rather than Imperial, but don't quote me on that.

Strangely, new vented calipers are =A310.00 cheaper than non vented for pre 93 Discoveries at =A370.50.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Thu, 18 May 2006 17:12:59 +0100, beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

I've a set of EBC green that I fancy putting on...

bloddy hell, you nearly gave me a wallet attack. I read the 3 as part of the price...

OK, with the knowledge that STC9191 and 9190 are much the same thing...

Can you confirm the parts listed below match up?

vehicle is MA146556

Vented front brakes:

FTC902 vented disc RTC6776/RTC6777 caliper pair STC8575 fitting kit

rear brakes

FTC1381 disc STC1264/STC1265 caliper later axles[1] STC8574 fitting kit

Hose kit

BEK2009 in a variety of colours... I assume it's a whole-vehicle kit?

[1] you and Paddock disagree about the axle numbers, Paddock say 38S... and you say 28S... what's the difference between the calipers and do they interchange? and who's right about the axle numbers?
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Don't know what happened there - the £ sign usually works ok!

That's right

That's right too.

All the brake flexis - not the clutch. Can be had 2" over length, but along with colours other than black they are made to order and take about 10 days to be made.

It's never easy........ we are right about them being from (A)28S44172D, and I've just added that they are also from (A)32S2119B on Discovery I's going by the parts book, but MicroCrap makes no mention of 28S axles only the 32S's!!

Range Rover Classics use them from (A)37S08651B and (A)35S18189C -

- the Good News is that the RRC 92-94 book specifically states that these are metric caliper bolts, the previous ones being Imperial, so that's how to identify them, and they are thus not interchangeable with drilling, which is a BIG no-no.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Fri, 19 May 2006 09:56:48 +0100, beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

hehe. I suppose there's no such thing as 38S axles?

OK... so I need to look at the axle number, then? Paddocks reckon that the relevant date is "around 1993" so the chances are that ours, being '95, is the later type, but it'll be worth a check.

I'll work out an order in a bit. I assume regular length flexis in black are stock items? I'm not fussed about colour, they all end up mud coloured in 5 minutes anyway.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I'm not betting on that...... I've nearly finished putting the entire Defender catalogue on the site - Discovery's next....

That would seem to be correct.

Usually!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Austin:

Why not fit DBA drilled/slotted rotors? I did it works great along with a set of EBC greens.

Jack

Reply to
Jack

On or around Fri, 19 May 2006 19:16:00 -0400, "Jack" enlightened us thusly:

I'm not convinced that drilled rotors are as strong. I did contemplate it, and in fact I still am... But the calipers need changing or rebuilding anyway, and the cost difference (especially if you go for stainless pistons) is not as big as you might think. So I'm tending towards new calipers 'cos it's less hassle, and in that case, since the prices are near enough the same, I may as well go with vented discs.

Reply to
Austin Shackles