Bugger, I'm tempted by this thing...

And a 1.8T - I'm talking about a 20V Turbo, as fitted to Passats, MK4 GTIs, Leon Cupra Rs etc, - will do between 180-225 out of the box, and more if you've got a bit of cash to spend. And it'll have a hell of a lot more torque than any Mi16.

There's not a huge difference in weight. The interweb says a 205 GTI weighs

875 kilos and a MK2 Golf weighs 907 Kg. The weights of stripped 205s and Golfs differ by about 50 kilos. That said, I've seen about 50 different kerb weight figures for the MK2 in my time.
Reply to
Doki

And the book for mine says 940 kilos. So there's almost a 10% difference, which is a fair bit really. But I'm sure the turbo would make up for it :).

Reply to
Doki

£500 will see you with 275bhp, and another £500 should see 300. That's ignoring Mr fast food's gaseous friend as adding that to one and not the other wouldn't be fair.
Reply to
Depresion

What's the going rate for a box and engine these days? I'm getting very tempted to do this once I'm out of uni and earning enough cash. I like to think I'd fit an ABF and leave it alone, but I know I wouldn't - I'd start chasing 180bhp and before you know it'd have a tubular manifold, a new stainless exhaust, bike throttlebodies and megasquire on there and I'd have lashed nearly enough cash to get a turbo lump.

Reply to
Doki

10% more mass and 35% more power as standard? Hmm sounds like the golf would be quicker to me.
Reply to
Depresion

But that golf is moving into high miles S60T5 territory, that's 250bhp out of the box and 300+ is a remap away.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Probably quite a bit less than I paid, though I'd probably be looking at a 2l now. Though as they are quite new there still isn't the experience in what they can take.

Reply to
Depresion

Eh? I reckon you could get a 1.8T into a MK2 Golf for about £2k all in including buying the car. And I'll bet a MK2 Golf weighs a good 30% less than an S60.

Reply to
Doki

I think he may be talking about the slightly rusty VR6 originally posted by Timo.

Reply to
SteveH

Ah. I really don't see the appeal of a VR6 conversion now the 1.8T is knocking around. It's not that brilliant.

Reply to
Doki

The sound and feel of a 6-pot, I assume.

But, as I've already said, it's a big, heavy lump of an engine, so not ideally suited for a small, lightweight, FWD hatch. They don't make huge amounts of power, either.

Reply to
SteveH

VRs are too heavy really but they do sound a lot better than the 1.8.

Reply to
Depresion

and they drink like fish day to day....

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

That's why you should forget them completely for a nice turbo volvo.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The traditional Mi16 engine is 160bhp in it's original guise (ie the 405 Mi16 and BX GTi 16v / 16v). But they do have massive tuning potential. The engine (well at least the head) was based on the 205 T16 Group B rally car's design, so it's certainly got race pedigree. 200bhp is not hard to acheive. The later GTi6 evolution (also in the Xsara VTS) was the 167bhp version, which is becoming more popular with the 205 brigade.

Indeed, but we never got the 309 GTi 16v. Due to complexities of the LHD - RHD conversion I believe and the decline of the hot hatch at the time.

I too am a liker of said engine. My friend had a 309 Mi16 conversion and I liked it alot. I've only experienced it in the BX, but it was very addictive. I've almost been tempted to buy another over the last few days!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I've seen a couple of 405 T16 engines for sale recently. They would be quite interesting in a 205. There's also a 205 Mi32 (Mi16 front and rear) which I'd also like a go in :)

Mk2 Golfs have always 'felt' much heavier to me compared to a 205. not very scientific I know.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

For my Corrado I bought an AUQ (180bhp) 1.8T engine, gearbox, alternator, starter, loom, everything else under the bonnet -ECU for £650 delivered 2 years ago. Didn't want the ECU as I was going for a DTA. If you want more than 180bhp, don't waste youe money on the ABF, just get a

1.8T.
Reply to
Homer

Hehe, yeah of course it will :)

--=20 Lordy.UK

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Hehe, yeah of course it will :)

I could give you about 5x 140 bhp for that, no shit.

Reply to
Burgerman

Most people aren't interested in NOS though... :)

--=20 Lordy.UK

Reply to
Lordy.UK