Car sounds

My friend's Alfa 164 24v V6 was great. The throttle response! Another friend's Lancia Thema Ferrari was awesome, when it worked (despite being concours winner, with a full Ferrari history, it was so tempramental so he sold it after only a few months and bought a Delta HF 4x4).

Most chilling sound is a cambelt snapping and the resultant carnage though.

Reply to
fishman

"Pete M" wrote

Yep they do make a surprisingly nice sound for an inline four-pot turbo. My Dedra didn't sound that good, despite sharing an engine.

I hear those a lot driving around Wilmslow. Nice sound. BMW 640s sound nice too.

I want a car that sounds like that. But I'd go for an alfa boxer instead.

Reply to
fishman

The XK engine is a pretty strong unit - it would hardly have lasted 30 odd years if not. And the 3.4 probably the sweetest of the lot.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's a similar theory to Tony Dolley's old Corsa. He won the Castle Combe saloon car championship last year. The impressive part is that he was able to mix it with the top class cars, whilst he was in a lower capacity class. Superb engineering, and possibly the only Corsa I've ever wanted to own, despite being bright orange!

Cheers, Andy

Reply to
Andy Laurence

Mmmm, Andy Burton's 306. That is a superb noise. Shame he didn't defend his title this year - rallies are not the same without him! Other rallying greats are a sorted BDA, and pretty much any Subaru. The noise is enough for me to want a Subaru rather than an Evo, despite the latter clearly being the better car!

Cheers, Andy

Reply to
Andy Laurence

You need to go to the right places. The JEC has a year round classic race series and you will get to see and hear some astonishingly good cars on the track; XK120/140/150, C & D-types, lightweight E-types, XK-SS among them.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Best installation IMO is the Alfa V6 in a Hawk Stratos replica. A truly stonking car with an awesome noise.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Ah yes there's nothing like the sound of a VW based engine. If I could find a cheap enough engine from a wrx then I would attempt to fit it to my Type 3 next year, as it is it's going to end up with a basically stock 1600 with slightly ported heads and twin carbs. Still sounds good but nowhere near the power.

Reply to
Depresion

There's an article about VW engine replacements/upgrades in last month's Practical Classics. One of the bugs in that article just had an N/A Subaru flat-four with nitrous... might find one of them easier and cheaper. Still 4 times the power as standard!

If you want the article, drop me an email and I'll post the mag to you..

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

In news:1103883006.c044de83714d16472de5b09fe56b2fa5@teranews, fishman decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Strangely enough, they 540i I used to use lives on Station Rd in Wilmslow.. It's about to be replaced by a 645, so I'll be slagging those off soon :-D

So would I, but only in a Sud or a Sprint. Not in the "other Alfa"

Reply to
Pete M

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Mike P decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

The Australians have a habit of putting Impreza Turbo lumps in Hillman Imps..

I wanna have a go in one of those..

Reply to
Pete M

But it's so much better in 16v form.

Obviously, a 16v Sprint is the way forward.

Reply to
SteveH

Jet Funny car Alcy Funny Car Most V8's

Reply to