Car Tax

Locost is back on the road, yay !

But, 6 months tax was a bit of a shock, has it gone up a shit-load recently or have I just managed to ignore it (I'm pretty good at ignoring s**te/expensive things) ?

£101.75 for 6 months[1], that works out more than the insurance, which is fully comp this time [2]

Pissed off and awaiting the monsoon season that seems to always follow when the car's back on the road...

[1] Can anyone think of a decent, light engine that's under 1550cc, preferably with a RWD option off the shelf ? [2] Being hit twice in 12 months by uninsured drivers has persuaded me to invest, 71% of motorists in some areas of Bradford are driving with no insurance, yes really.....
Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

Does a 1.4 16v K fit the bill? Apart from the RWD bit obviously (except aren't some used for that?)

Bike engine has to be the proper answer though.

Though for the sake of that small a sum, I'd just pay for the big engine.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

"Tony \(UncleFista\)" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

£185 for a full year - and staying there for a couple more years. I don't think it's gone up much in the last couple, either. It's one of those necessary evils that you ain't going to change by shopping about, so just grin and bear it.

The obvious answer would be "K-series". Build it properly, cool it properly, and the HG woes aren't that bad.

And as long as the engine number says "1.4", who's to know it's not a

1.8...?
Reply to
Adrian

I'll asume you don't want a bike engine, seeing as you've resisted it so far.

Suzuki G13B ? Like a downscaled 4A-GE. Revtastic.

Bolts up to an SJ413 gearbox, the 4WD bit just removes and leaves it as a normal 2WD box.

RWD is of course biased towards larger cars nowadays which means way bigger than 1550cc mostly.

Realistically, it's a K series or a Vauxhall 1.4 16V and buy a bellhousing.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Same price as my 3.5 litre petrol muncher ;)

Do suzuki swift GTi engines marry up with the little tonka toy van RWD gearboxes? Always thought'd that'd be fun (GTi engine in a tonka toy I mean). Some sort of RX7 rotary type affair. Bike engine. K series.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

"Carl Gibbs" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Ooooh. Ooooh, yes. Definitely. Gotta be.

Reply to
Adrian

No idea where to get one, but what about one of those Corollas everyone uses for drifting? Didn't one come with ITBs from the factory? And there was a supercharged one I think?

Reply to
DanB

Suxuki motor. Busa. 1300cc 160bhp at the wheels with a stock one. And sequential and really light! Up to 700 bhp with a turbo and some serious attension. 450 easy to do.

Reply to
Burgerman

they use the 4AGE engine and a supercharged version of the 4AGE that i forget right now but both were also in the MK1 MR2 and are also JUST over

1500cc by 34cc i think so it'll still be 185 a year
Reply to
Vamp

Please excuse spelling... Im pissed.

Reply to
Burgerman

I don't have any choice really :), it's the fact that it's more than fully comp insurance that's brought it to my attention

I crapped myself when I rang the insurance about the accident when the bloke was checking details he said "the engine is a 1.3 right ?" I panicked and said yes :) 'cos I knew we ran with a 1.6 crossflow for a couple of weeks when it should've been a 1.3. I realised halfway through the conversation and told him it was a 1.8, later found insurance documents proving I'd changed it. Was a dodgy moment though, I knew I must have done it, but couldn't remember "actually" doing it :)

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

Nowt to resist, sounds like a rabid chainsaw and no reverse ? Along with the tales of woe on "the site" harping on about broken gearboxes and stuff ;)

Never even heard of it, I can't remember random series of letters and numbers, I only recognise bikes with proper names :) I'll have a look into it.

When the K first came out I thought it was the future, it's the reliability issues that put me off. I'll look into the VX :)

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

AE86. No idea about the ITBs, they did supercharge a Levin which is near enough the same. IIRC it's the 4-AGE engine.

Reply to
Doki

"Tony \(UncleFista\)" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Given that the difference is a quid a week, can I suggest that if it's that significant, you perhaps ought to be driving something different?

Reply to
Adrian

"Tony \(UncleFista\)" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The SJ is the little jeep...

The HG isn't an inherent issue - if you rectify BMW's cheapening of the parts, it's just down to the cooling system installation.

Reply to
Adrian

That would be the G13B. Lame compared to a Busa.

101bhp @ 6600rpm 80ft-lb @ 5500rpm
Busa primary gear 1.596:1, power and torque at clutch (there just ain't no way you will take power direct from crank). 158.3bhp @ 5912rpm 158ft-lb @ 4465rpm It's a NO BRAINER, stompa power based on measured power/torque from
if you don't like things that rev and buzz don't ever buy a V8 orV12 cos an even firing cross plane crank V8 at 3000rpm or a V12 at2000rpm sounds like a 4 doing 6000rpm.

You mean they are just over 1550cc at 1587cc and so called a 1.6.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Welcome to the wonderful world of Gordon Brown.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Oh aye.

There's so much info out there on the reasons for them boiling up, dowels, liners protruding etc etc.

I don't trust 'em ;)

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

4AGE ? Also in Mk1 MR2s.

I live in Bradford, if I wanted a written off Corrolla GTi, I only have to walk to the nearest scrappie ;)

Gearboxs are getting rare (expensive) but there are adaptor for the type9...

Hmmmm......

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

No bike engines, are you pissed ? :)