Competition time : - Calculate your carbon footprint

You win!

Reply to
DervMan

*daft question* My screen says mileage per day not per year.
Reply to
DervMan

Where do you see the suggestion?

Reply to
Elder

At the bottom, there are pics of two cars. My suggestion was a Volvo XC90 or something like that.

Reply to
Pete M

50000 a year is 137 miles a day = 32051kg
Reply to
Depresion

That's not impressive enough. I much preferred the early figure.

I wonder if someone is taking the piss.

Reply to
Pete M

Hehe, I was reading it as "Yearly mileage". Shame I can't do 50k miles a day....

Reply to
Pete M

Not on mine there isn't

Elder

Should be something like this

Pete M

LOL, can't be anything greener than an emerald green Saab then.

Reply to
Elder

Your Majesty's Tax Collector would find that sticker very amusing and advice you to drive some more.

Are you really determined to dissipate the UK-deficit by your own?

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Good.

Yes.

Reply to
Pete M

Heh. It asks for your DAILY mileage... I did the same thing and was quite surprised to find that my primula was producing 1200 Tonnes of CO2 per year...

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Just how big *is* a tonne of CO2?

Never mind, I JFGI'd it: at S.T.P it's 556 cubic metres, that's about a

27' cube. About the size of an moderate 3 bed house.

Smaller than I imagined it would be...

Reply to
PCPaul

1 mole of CO2 weighs (1x6 (C) + 2*8 (O))=22 grams. 1 tonne = 1000kg = 1000,000g -> 1 tonne CO2 = 45454 moles. 1 mole of gas (ideal) takes ~24l -> 1 tonne (45k moles) CO2 = approx 1.1million litres = 1100 cubic metres.

I'm not sure why this is different to your googled result; probably I am wrong...

So, yes, anyway, something around 2-4 average houses, I suppose.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

You are :-)

CO2 weight is 44, so there's 22.7k moles per tonne, hence factor of 2 out.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Arse. You are quite right. Damn my shonky memory.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Woohoo! I win!

Well, me and my alter ego Mr Google... I'd be totally lost without it now.

Just try and remember back to 1980 or even 1990 and how hard it was to find stuff out... shocking, isn't it?

Reply to
PCPaul

I have no idea how people did my job fifteen years ago.

Actually, that's a lie, I do; now we just do five times as much research in the day... :)

Reply to
DervMan

Or the same amount and 5 times the time wasting?

Reply to
Depresion