Complaint about public transport

In message , Adrian writes

Never a Routemaster but a lot of Lodekka's, Bristol RE's and Leyland Nationals, how do they compare?

Reply to
Christine.

Oh, make no mistake, I have not always been in the happy situation I enjoy today.

There was a time in my life (like the first 21 years of it) when the bus had to suffice.

Never again.

Reply to
JNugent

It does to me, since the people who have paid and are paying for those "improvements" are not the ones to benefit from them. If better/newer buses are required (and I expect they are), they should be paid for out of bus fares, just like Easyjet's aircraft or Speedferries' catamaran.

It takes a particularly perverse turn of mind to be able to claim that when one is being charged once again for something one has already paid for, one is being provided with something extra. Drivers already had the right to drive in London. The current situation is a diminution of rights, not an enhancement of them.

...yet more money has been extorted from the pockets of road-users.

I frankly and openly admit that I expect to be able to go wherever I need/want to go and to be able to park when I get there. That is the whole purpose of running a car.

I understand that you also run a car, so the concept of going where you want to, when you want to go there, must be a relatively familiar one to you too.

And of course, I am not the sort of freeloader who expects to garage their vehicle on the public highway.

Not everyone can claim that, eh?

Reply to
JNugent

About 50 years ago?

True, we would never expect you to have an open mind and accept that things can and do change.

Reply to
Brimstone

Um, no they don't. Bus companies can claim back something like 80% of the tax on the fuel they use as they drive around with no passengers on board, spewing out carcinogenic particulates.

Mark

Reply to
mmaker

English appears not to be your first language.

Reply to
JNugent

If the place you are visiting has no of road parking space nearby where do you leave your vehicle?

Reply to
Brimstone

Do us all a favour - learn the difference between garaging and parking, would you?

It's not much to ask.

Reply to
JNugent

As are the roads. In theory, it's easier to increase the capacity of trains and tubes.

Everyone has the choice. But many prefer a large(ish) house well outside London etc while working in it, rather than something more modest closer to work. Freedom of choice, of course. But then it's also freedom of choice to those living in those modest houses in London to complain about the incessant commuter cars.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Perhaps if Easyjet, etc, paid the same tax on their fuel as other users you'd have a valid point.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Strange. I cycled to school and almost everywhere else from about 10 years old onwards.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So that's a "where ever I damn well like" then is it?

Reply to
Brimstone

You were obviously far richer than I was.

Don't worry - I'm not bitter about it.

Reply to
JNugent

You got free travel on the buses?

A first, then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Eh?

Only for school journeys (c. 6 miles each way).

Most of the rest of life was conducted within a few hundred yards of home (half-a-mile to a mile radius, I'd say). That's how it was in inner cities in those days.

You often encounter bitterness in your daily life, do you?

Do you think it could be the effect you have on people?

Reply to
JNugent

Perhaps if the tax had anything to do with it (there is significant tax on airline tickets, BTW), you'd have something approaching a point?

Reply to
JNugent

In message , Brimstone writes

Then what's it take for a Lodekka, with manual gears and steering?

Reply to
Christine.

BWahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha[gasp]hahahahahahahahahahahahaa.

Reply to
Huge

You don't know anything, do you, clown?

Reply to