Custom manifolds

Can anyone tell me where I can get inlet and exhaust manifolds made up to order? They'd be for fitting fuel injection and a turbocharger onto an old, carb-fed engine.

Thanks! Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Can we start with the engine type ?

This type of thing is very common nowadays with the availability of bike throttle bodies and megasquirt.

So, what engine ?

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

It's an air cooled, Citroen 1300cc flat-four. fed by a single carb. Not exactly off-the shelf stuff I'm afraid :-(

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

"Mike P" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Indeed... You're going to be getting it fabricated to order, I think. Given the layout of the G engine, wouldn't a belt driven supercharger be easier? One turbo per bank, p'raps, but I'd think you'd struggle to get 'em small enough.

Are you the Mike in Wycombe? If so, drop me an email, because I may just know a man that can help.

Reply to
Adrian

'>em small enough.

Yes, that's the problem. As you know, getting both exhausts routed to one big turbo would be interesting to stay the least. My brother - it's his car, not mine, has had a couple of turbos sent over from his mate in Japan - they're from Kei class 660cc cars, so even two pots from a G should spin them up if he can get them mounted in a reasonably sensible place.

The idea of a supercharger may be a better one though. The only disadvantage of that is neither of us know anything about them.. and they seem to be expensive pieces of kit. Bro picked up the turbos for £100 each.

It's going in a 2CV/Ami Super. I will get some pics of it next time I go up North. My brother is a technophobe when it comes to non-car things. He's still got a Nokia 3210, has no PC or digital camera so it's a PITA to get pics of it at the moment!

I am indeed :-) email sent....

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

"Mike P" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Mini Cooper S blowers on fleaBay have always looked very reasonable...

Reply to
Adrian

Instead of pissing around with poncy turbos, why not just supercharge=20 the sodding thing? That way you're not waiting around for it to spin up=20 and there's no fannying around with either the intake or the exhaust=20 manifolds. The money you save with not having to have manifolds built=20 up will pay for the difference in the price, surely?

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

Yea you could pickup an M45 for under £100 with ease and when geared right on a G40 lump 200bhp achievable from one.

Reply to
Depresion

Conor tells it like it is as usual ;-)

I've had a bid on a supercharger on Ebay, we'll see how that goes. The only problem I can think of is that he's trying to keep the car looking as stock as possible and there's not a lot of clearance between the bonnet and carb/airfilter assembly

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

"Mike P" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

You can't fit a G lump under a 2cv bonnet and leave it looking standard anyway, but - yes - it'd definitely need something on top to clear. But have you/he considered where the turbo(s) would be going? Not a lot of space for them, either.

No sign of that email yet, btw.

Reply to
Adrian

ROFL.

On supercharged pinto engined capris, the supercharger has been mounted at the side of the engine - there's no rule which says it has to go on top. The beauty of superchargers is as long as you can get a drive belt to it, you can put it where the hell you want.

Just needs to get a suitable carburettor that'll work with positive air pressure. I've got some articles about supercharging Kent engines somewhere so I'll have a shuftie and see if I can get some examples of carbs.

Reply to
Conor

Renault 5 GT Turbo was the one used. Was bolted onto a 1.3L Kent engine. Basically similar flange layout to a single choke Weber.

Reply to
Conor

Conor gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It's a flat four, being squished into an engine bay designed for an engine half the size...

Reply to
Adrian

Ah right...didn't delve into the thread that deeply.

Reply to
Conor

Yes, I know. The one we did last time, we extended the nose part of the bonnet so the grill was jutting out like a "nose". It didn't look too obvious. That only had a 4 speed box in though, this one is having a 5 speed box, so it's longer. We'll probably go the ugly route and weld a strip into the rear of the bonnet. He's got a mockup of cardboard pipe of where the turbos will go. It involves totally different manifolds, quite a bit of heat shielding and big modifications of the "inner" wings.. I'm flying up on sat am so I'll post some pics.

Mke P

Reply to
Mike P

"Mike P" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The extra length's at the rear of the box, and in the middle of the steering rack... So you've got two choices - move the lot forward or lift the back of the box up, over the steering.

The first gives you very sharp driveshaft angles, the second starves the box of oil.

Reply to
Adrian

Indeed...

Or do as he's done and have a galv chassis made up with extra length at the front to fit the G motor and box in flat :-) Thankfully the man who built the chassis also sold him 2 G engines, so made it all to fit perfectly :-)

Yes. This happened on the first one. The n/s driveshaft sheared, ripping off brake pipes and smashing a caliper on it's twirl of destruction...

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

"Mike P" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

So it's LWB...?

Ewww... Super shaft or 2cv with adapter ring? The Super shafts are notoriously weak, 2cv ones are better. The Super ones are just shorter G, and can't cope with the suspension travel, since all the length adjustment's in the tri-ax joint, rather than having sliding splines.

Reply to
Adrian

It's about 2" longer overall than standard, and has a dipped crossmember so the motor can fit in properly. It passed an MOT 2 years ago after it was built, then driven into my mum's garage where it's sat ever since due to my brother having a pre-midlife crisis/change of career/not being arsed..

A super shaft. We think that it got pulled to it max length, then a bit further and something bad happened. It certainley made a mess under the bonnet.

Reply to
Mike P

"Mike P" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Hold on a mo... Just stretching in front of the crossmember wouldn't help, unless you also stretched the suspension arms...?

I think I need to see this... Photos!

(Still haven't received that email you said you'd sent, btw)

Reply to
Adrian