Damn 944 FAQs

I'm never going to trust a FAQ again. Think my oil cooler packed up on the

944 - found these instructions:

It says it takes 45-90 minutes, and the procedure is correct for all

944-series cars and the 924S.

It took three days (OK, not full days, but I spent almost 12 hours on it on Tuesday alone). Some of the instructions are incorrect, double-checking with the Haynes manual was worthless as it contains only *4* steps in the removal procedure (eg, locate oil cooler, remove the bolts, remove oil cooler, knees bend, arm-stretch, ra ra ra).

It fails to mention that the oil cooler is connected to the oil filter, so you need to remove that first. It also fails to mention that after you've stuggled to remove all the bolts (some of which you can't see) and the cooler is loose, it's impossible to remove it with the engine still in the car unless you get something out of the way first - after about a day I figured that the exhaust manifold would need to come off. In the process I also disconnected the steering column. It makes no hint whatsoever that in order to get to some of the bolts, you need to remove one of the wheels. It also doesn't say that you need to drain the water out first (I figured you did, but why doesn't it say?) What the hell's going on?!?!

Sorry, I just had to rant about it. Now I'm gonna write an even longer email to the guy who wrote that FAQ.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

Mmmm...

Guess who is now considering cancelling his bid on that 944 I fancied (ebay, natch).

As an asides - do you like the car apart from that ?

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

This may well be something to do with LHD to RHD conversion. A lot of jobs that are easy on LHD cars become a real PITA once the car is converted to RHD.

Reply to
SteveH

It's been great. Mine came off eBay. 132,000 miles when I got it 143,000 miles now - changed one driveshaft, one wheel bearing, one lorry drove into it and one oil cooler needed sorting out. Also changed the sunroof seal as it was starting to leak. I have to say that mechanically, it's been really easy to work on up until this point. Driveshafts and wheel bearings were dead easy to change and everything is neatly laid out. It's just the engine which is a bit of a pain, but at least it's a tough old beast.

chris.

Reply to
Chris B

Maybe, but there's an awful lot of engine in the way of the cooler. Unless the power steering pump and an engine mount moved, I doubt the cooler would come out without removing the exhaust manifold.

Chris

Reply to
Chris B

It's very possible the PS pump will have moved to change the rack from LHD to RHD.

Reply to
SteveH

I agree, but if that were the case, the alternator would have to move to where the power steering pump was. I spent a long time underneath the car trying to figure it out. It seems impossible. Hopefully if I can get hold of the guy who wrote it, he can explain to me what was different on his car.

Reply to
Chris B

I feel your pain recently fitted a gearbox oil cooler to an Omega never again :)

Reply to
Rob

Without clicking the link, I am guessing LHD vs. RHD...

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

It's possible, but I really can't see it would make that much of a difference. It was certainly far easier to work on the cooler once I had removed the exhaust manifold. Bah!

Reply to
Chris B