donk?

who coined the phrase and in what context was it first used? I know I first heard it reading dervy's posts, but where did it come from? lots of people are using it now and he might be entitled to some sort of royalty cheque :)

Reply to
dojj

I think the american army used it when talking about tank engines, way back when. It was used quite a lot by hot-rodders in the late 50's/earl;y 60's and became popular again in the 70's with bikers. It's not a commonly used word nowadays, which is just as well, in my opinion, 'cos to my mind it sounds like it should be used to describe knackered engines, although I dunno why :-)

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

I picked it up from here and i now use it as much as i say 'lump' altho donk is normally used to describe a powerful/good engine...don't ask me why

Got a few of me mates sayin it now too, i'll deny it if anyones lookin for any royalty money tho ;)

-- Chet

Chet

i've used donk for years as well as lump dunno where it came from though. might be a sothern thing as i've not known anyone not to say donk when talking about an engine.

Reply to
vamp

First time I heard it was referring to a 'donkey' engine which is a smaller engine used to start up a larger engine; especially where electric starters would be problematical/unsuitable.

Marine engines, earthmoving equipment, etc. From there the term just achieved wider use, I suppose.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I wish!

My Dad used to say it, heh still does - it's derived from "donkey," i.e. the bit that does the work.

Reply to
DervMan

/waves hands like a Jedi/ Because that is the way of things.

Wahey!

Reply to
DervMan

What, there's a donkey inside your engine turning the thing around? :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

it's for cars that don't produce enough to be marked out in horse power :)

Reply to
dojj

I'd assumed it came from donkey engine which is an auxilliary engine used to provide electricity etc with the main engine stopped or even to start a much larger one. And often a single cylinder type or crude in other ways. So an insult, really.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

This months Topgear magazine refers to an engine as a donkey, and it was referring to quite a powerful car IIRC

Reply to
Fishman19