What was your first car?

Time for another "what was your first car" thread methinks ;)

Mine was a 1972 Mk1 Escort 1.3 GL. I rolled it after two weeks and was still paying off the bank loan three years later. I then bought a Mk1 Cortina 1500GT for £50 which my "mate" managed to blow up. I went back to bikes for another 10 years after that.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

A 1952 Austin A40 Somerset. (In 1964). Lasted for a year of total abuse!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

In message , Paul Giverin writes

Shit!

Was meant to go to u.r.c.misc

Sorry.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Austin A35 van, started via the handle for first start of the day, then usually on the pull starter knob (it only needed a battery, but that was expensive then !!)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

A Reg, Datsun Cherry. I still want the old number plate from it, it wasn't anything special, but it's memories. Where can I get it?

1.3 baby, really spacious, vibrated at 50 mph, rode on a cushion of wind at 60... really lovely. Rusty as hell, but only cost £40. I overtook a bicycle really fast the once, and then my exhaust smoked ever since.

Replaced it with a Rover 216, which, Ok, was able to go faster, but was a heap of s**te in comparison.

Cya Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

Fiat Cinquecento Sporting. Was only a year old when I bought it. Still have fond memories of it, as it was so much fun to drive.

Reply to
SteveH

Hillman Imp. To this day the best car I've ever driven in snow and would make a standing start up any steep hill without wheel spin. Unfortunately steering round bends was a bit tricky as the front end is so light it didn't want to turn in snow!

Reply to
Shawneo

The oldest and most reliable method of traction control. Don't have enough to need control :)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

1972 Morris Marina 1300 L white 4 door, i loved that car, it did me well for a few years as well, the only real problem i had was the bottom trunnion pulling out when i went to pull out of a parking space !!!! ive always wanted a marina coupe with an 1800 lump in it.
Reply to
reg

Fiat Seicento SX, and I've still got it :-P

It's only 899cc, but still a lot more fun than some much faster cars, and dirt cheap too :-)

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Silver FIAT Strada (Ritmo), me and my brother shared it, I put petrol in, he crashed it ;) It had an orange bonnet for most of it's life with us, couldn't find a replacement silver one.

Had a hard time finding someone to balance the wheels, no centre hole in the wheels :)

Good memories :)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

See if it's still being used, if not DVLA have it.

Reply to
Fred

A Renault 4 estate ~1970, like the van but with windows and rear seat, very spacious. Developed a gaping body hole near a rear wheel. I covered it by a doormat from inside... As the FWD engine was longitudinal, the exhaust was in the left front wing. Once the exhaust failed; it fell down between front wheel and engine, thus restricting the steering to a narrow angle...

Reply to
Johannes

MkIV Triumph Spitfire

Cost me £1250 in '89. The carbs were that worn it did around 15mpg. Ran so rich that I became extremely adept at loosening the housings whilst turning it over just to get it started. Bought it in April and with a scorching summer, the roof went up for the first time in the October.

I've still got the original invoice and an MOT certificate. According to the RAC site, it's still going and now on its 15th owner.

I *loved* that car.

Reply to
Grant

Hrm, seems the rover I sent to the scrap yard, is still listed... with a last owner change of 01 January 0001.

And the sierra my mother had and scrapped too, is still listed.

But my Datsun Cherry number plate isn't there.

Cya Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

1968 MkIII Spitfire. navy blue, white enamelled wires. Followed by a 1973 Mimosa yellow MkIV.
Reply to
deadlock

Simon Dean ( snipped-for-privacy@simtext.plus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Now look 'em up on vehiclelicence.gov.uk

Reply to
Adrian

Ooh, G549 FOC: Vehicle Status Unlicensed Same goes for my mom's car... oh, and my Datsun.

Reply to
Simon Dean

Simon Dean ( snipped-for-privacy@simtext.plus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

And the date of liability?

Reply to
Adrian

17/04/2001 for the Rover. When I got rid of the car.

29/06/1999 for my Datsun... which is when I got the rover!

Reply to
Simon Dean