Ecotek CB-26

No, because drilling a 2mm hole in the manifold would make the car run consistently weak throughout the rev range whereas the ecotek is designed only to open at certain vacuum levels. It should only really open/make a noise on overrun, if it does it at any other time then it's not been set up properly. It should not be open (ie. making a noise) at idle speed.

Inside the Ecotek there is a spring and a bit of plastic that blocks the hole... that would appear to be it... I did shake it to see if there was anything else stuck in there but there wasn't.

One of the reviews of it was done by a guy I know who has nothing to do with the people making it, I don't know if it's on their site or not, but he found it made an improvement to the MPG of his car (a 15 year old Mk2 Fiesta XR2). The device has also been endorsed by the CSMA (I think it has anyway - if not then it's just been in their mag loads of times). So there must be something in it. On the other hand, I have one fitted to my car (a 14 year o ld Mk2 Fiesta 1400S) and I can't really see any difference over the MPG before I fitted it. The only difference I seem to get on there is that because it opens when you back off, ie to change gear etc, the rev's don't drop as fast as they did without it. This is obviosuly because it opens, weakens the mixture and so the rev's rise slightly.

I would imagine that on new cars where the ECU is constantly checking the mixture etc, the device would be more or less useless because any effect it could have would be countered by the ECU adjusting to compensate.

And no... I didn't pay £80 for mine. ;-)

Reply to
Ollie

He meant the vacuum line to the brake servo... ;-)

The rest of his explanation doesn't make any sense to me either though. :-D

The unit is spliced into the pipe that provides the vacuum connection to the servo, all it does it when the vacuum reaches a certain crudely set level it opens, makes a bizzare noise, and lets some air into the pipe which in-turn ends up in the manifold. It doesn't force anything anywhere. All this talk of turbulance is nonsense, all it does is make the mixture weaker, it doesn't create turbulance. The only reason you get slightly higher MPG is because it weakens it off on overrun so doesn't waste so much fuel.

LMAO!!!

Reply to
Ollie

No, you completely missed the point.

I wasn't insulting him. I was using his own line of reasoning back on him to show what a lot of bollocks it is.

If something hasn't been proven positive it *doesn't* automatically make the negative true.

Reply to
Chris

My car has a carb and it's 15 years old, hence my comment about overrun. ;-)

Doesn't alter the fact that the unit is a waste of time though. :-D

Reply to
Ollie

LMFAO, funnily enough most of the people who feature in the mag seem to match that description as well!

Wasn't the Broquet just a permeable bag with a load of lead pellets in it? My oppinion of the "reviews" in Motoring and Leisure have changed quite a bit since the Ecotek, it seems that they don't do any real tests on the stuff they praise. Who can you trust to do an honest review anymore? :-(

Reply to
Ollie

No, lol, but I've replied to you and we seem to be arguing rather pointlessly on the same side. :-D

important...

Reply to
Ollie

They're not independent - THEY HAVE SPENT THEIR MONEY ON IT. This completely alters their viewpoint. Without even knowing it, they approach the device from a "proving that's it's not crap" viewpoint - this is how the human mind works. You or I, would attempt to "prove that it's good".

Reply to
Nom

The other thing is selective quoting from an independent test - Carbonflow were good at that.

Something like

"We found it worked well on a 1936 Austin 7 with a burnt piston, but made no difference whatsoever on any other car"

becomes

"We found it worked well... on any... car".

Reply to
Dave Plowman