24v indicator stalk

Anyone know the best place to pick up a 24v indicator stalk for a IIa. Should be for a Lightweight but I'm not fussy. Getting fed up with a cold arm out the window.

Failing that if anyone knows if there is a way into the apparent sealed switch to have a tinker and see if I can clean up/grease the switch to make it work.

Ta

Reply to
ScoutTech

Which part of it is not working?

Martin

Reply to
Oily

In article , ScoutTech writes

What specifically makes it "24V" ? If it's the sort with a green-lensed bulb at the end, presumably all you need do is change a 12V bulb for a

24V one. You'd get slightly higher sparking at the switch contacts, but if you're really worried fit a suppression capacitor. Otherwise, a 12V one oughta do it fine, assuming it physically fits.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Thats brilliant news. I currently have one with a bulb but not fussed and have seen one without. I assumed and others had made general noises along the same lines, that it had to be 24v as otherwise it would blow/short/die.

@Oily: Currently hazard lights work fine so I flasher unit is ok, bulbs are all okay. But using the indicator stalk I either get a very slow randomly timed tick with no lights or a tick and squeak. It was intermittent to start with but now I have nothing except after some wiggling I get a tick or a squeak. I have taken the indicator box apart but the actual switch seems to be a closed black unit so can't get into clean/grease/have a look see.

So unless anyone else has info that a normal one can't be used ta very much :D

Reply to
ScoutTech

The only ones I remember on lightweights are the same as fitted to Series 3 civvies except that they had a different block connector. Can't see why you shouldn't use a Series 3 type and 24v would only use half the current anyway. I've not seen an enclosed switch type, you can usually clean the connections on the indicators as they have exposed springy wire connectors sliding across brass buttons that you can easily see.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

This is a strap on to the steering column jobby, silver box with a green hole for a bulb. Has a wheel that presses against the wheel base to cancel. I'll have to undoe it all and have another look but there definitely wasn't any exposed wire connections. Once the lever had been removed there was just a black box with a stubby pole coming up. It is a 2a so before teh S3 ones. Plus of course it has been fiddled with by previous owners so is probably far from standard!

Ta though. From the looks of it there are a couple of options I can get. Having had a look I think this

bottom of the page) will do without the illuminating end or withbut by changing the end bulb.

Reply to
ScoutTech

"ScoutTech" wrote............

Sorry, oldtimers disease is taking over. I forgot about those, I don't see many Series 2 lightweights these days. I think I may have a secondhand one of those lying about, I'll check in the morning and let you know and also check that it works. You can indeed change the bulb in those, they are fitted with an M.E.S (Miniature Edison Screw) type, either 6 or 12 volt, and it's the same switch on civilian models. The flasher unit has an extra terminal to feed the warning lamp and the black/white wire needs to be earthed for the warning lamp to work. I'm fairly sure you can strip the switch on those BICBW.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Bad form I know but bulb either 12 or 24 volt. Doh!

Reply to
Oily