FAO: Chet, and any other Oirish folk...

Chet,

I'm over in Ireland at the moment, have been all week. I started the week in Dundalk and am finishing off in Corcaigh! Anyway, I've been pootling around in a hired Civic Auto (Yawwwwn), and one thing that I always notice over here is the amount of front fog-light usage. During the day, around one third of the cars you see on the road have their front fogs on, mostly with just sidelights on too. And it's not just young tinkers either, seen old women, bus drivers, even the Gardai!! Is the law different over here or something, or do people over here still think it's cool to drive around with them on....?

Just wondering, like...

Dan

Reply to
-=Dan=- ©

Its still seen as cool here unfortunately! The majority of people round this neck of the woods have them on constantly and i suppose the rest of the country is the same. I use mine at night if they light up the road a bit better but other than that i'm well behaved :)

How are you finding the stupid kmph speed limits?

Reply to
Chet

Where's your neck of the woods?

In a 1.4 Auto Civic, mostly unattainable! ;) To be honest, my only driving was from Dublin Airport to Dundalk, all on the M1 so just sat at 90 all the way up, and the same back into Dublin City last night, where once I got past the M50 I wasn't getting over 30mph anyways, and then from Dublin City last night back to the airport, where I rarely got over 30mph again. Hope that damn tunnel is worth it!

Reply to
-=Dan=- ©

Wicklow, just off the N11 at Rathnew

The 75mph limit on motorways is the only new limit thats semi-decent. 50mph where they used to be 60 is just madness, its ridiculously slow!

Reply to
Chet

*Tumbleweed* I've heard of it, no idea where it is though! Excuse my ignorance...

Do they still force drivers onto the hard-shoulder if you happen to be going a bit slow over here? It was 'good manners' to move over onto the hard-shoulder I heard from someone, but then if you crashed into someone on the hard-shoulder it was all your fault and your insurance was void! Now,

*that's* madness...
Reply to
-=Dan=- ©

You have a far worse safety record, though :P

Reply to
PeterE

Is that official?

Reply to
Chet

Reply to
ibrox©

As my what, now? Don't be a tit...

Reply to
-=Dan=- ©

Yay, something you are officially best at.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

See, for example:

"Ireland is ranked seventh in the EU for road fatalities. In 2001, the road fatality rate here was 108 per million. The UK had the lowest rate of 60 while Greece had the highest, with an estimated 180."

Perhaps it's because the Irish are well-known for their courtesy when pissed ;-)

Reply to
PeterE

Reply to
ibrox©

What, you mean your lights *don't* come on automatically when it gets dark enough ?

Ew...

Reply to
DanTXD

i can turn my headlights on via the keyfob when i'm within 1500m of the car, errr very useful! :) better if i remote start the engine and turn the lights on with a crowd of people near the front, so funny watching them move out the way waiting for the car to move :)

Reply to
Vamp

I have a car with 1980's french electronics, i'm happy if the lights even work!

Reply to
Chet

Its where you take some form of soft (usually paper) tissue and remove the excess shit from your arse after you've used the toilet.

HTH

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Nice, a very astravanman style reply

Reply to
Chet

Ah rats, I was imagining him looking confused if you did know him and passed on a message.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Heh! All I ever wanted to do in life was influence people - my life is now complete :-)

-- Peter

Get Circumcised to e-mail me Raising money for the Tsunami Appeal: -

AstraVanMan

Side lights ? You mean Parking Lights ?

I doesn't half make me mad when I pull out to overtake, and some clot looms out of the gloom infront with a piss-poor pair of candles indicating their presence on the road. And what's more, they seem most annoyed when they get a quick blurt of my 130w main-beams straight into their faces. Why don't they learn ? Use your bloody headlights, damnit !

I regularly use my headlights during the day - every single morning on the way to work infact ! If visibility is reduced, then your lights should be on. It's as simple as that.

Reply to
Nom