FAO Conor

I seem to remember your Mrs does signs. I need a tailgate decal for my Golf - goes round the outside of the window on 3 sides, and it's made of some sort of textured black vinyl. 3 piece ones are knocking about but the original is 1 piece. Any idea if she'd be able to knock one up?

Reply to
Doki

Have you got a link?

For a MK1 GTI per chance?

The black vinyl only comes in 600mm wide rolls - that could be why they're only available in three peice. It's not the width of the tailgate that's the issue but the height.

She can do a printed one in one peice but there's no guarantee to how long the ink lasts outside in all weathers. It needs a clear protective layer putting on top too which doubles the cost. It also wouldn't have the right texture either.

She says that to get invisible joints with the three peice kits, if you overlap the edges of each peice then cut them together, you'll get an invisible join as long as you don't stretch it.

Alternatively, pop it into a bodyshop and ask them to spray it on instead. Shouldn't cost you more than £100.

Reply to
Conor

That's for a MK1, but you get the idea.

MK2.

I'd think the tailgate glass is much taller than 60cm.

Sounds like the best bet.

Wouldn't look right, and the only bubble of rust on the car is under the vinyl. I can get a chunk welded in if needed, but I doubt paint would cover as well as the vinyl would.

Reply to
Doki

Wife just had a look. They've done it on 600mm vinyl as she said which is why it is in 3 pieces.

It is possible to get wider rolls but they're special order from the mftrs, only come in 50 metre rolls and cost a hell of alot. Not much call for it so virtually no companies stock it and they can get a good enough result using more than one piece.

Reply to
Conor

I see. What's the best way to cut it? I assume stick the bottom strip down, then do most of the side ones, and cut once it's all about done?

Reply to
Doki

Extremely sharp craft knife. Those cheapy ones with the "snap off" blades are OK.

When it's all done. Also she says to clean the paint with meths/white spirit first, clean the meths off and allow to dry. Before applicating soak it with water - this allows you to move it about. Use masking tape to hold one end in place like a hinge so you can line the lot up. When you squeegy the bubbles out (use a credit card or similar), the water will come out too so it'll stick. If you've small bubbles left, leave them as they should come out as it all dries. If they don't after a day or so, pop them in the middle with a small pin then work from the outside to the centre with the credit card.

If you live anywhere near Driffield, I'm sure she'd apply it for a few quid.

Reply to
Conor