Fed up, it's Switzerland or bust time

I'm fed up with looking at overpriced, overdescribed sheds that are supposedly really well looked after cars. No, I'm not talking about the Integrale but due to a few logistical issues I won't be able to pick that up in time for the Swiss trip.

So it's time to bite the bullet and have another discussion with the tame mechanic to address some of the issues on the 156. Since the thermostat was replaced and I've started driving it like La Polizia was after me, it's actually running rather well. Uses hardly any oil, drinks petrol like it's Chianti and above that it just seems to work. Driving another 156 - which unfortunately came right under the heading above - showed that mine wasn't actually that bad. Brakes could and should be better, though.

Nevertheless I have a nagging feeling that I should get breakdown cover for it. Just in case, like.

Isn't it interesting how risk-averse you tend to get when you get older/more experienced? Ten years ago I wouldn't have wasted a thought on jumping in it and driving it to Switzerland, this time I'm somewhat nervous but that's probably because ten years ago I would've made the trip on my own.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Yes I bloody hate it.

Reply to
fishman

Errm, I drive to/through Switzerland several times a year. It's not much of an adventure, six hours keeping within the legal limit it takes longer than that to get to Newcastle-on-Tyne for me. The drive through France is effortless, if a tad expensive. The drive via Belgium/Alsace is cheaper but a tad tedious.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Well yes, I know how to get to Switzerland. Having grown up on the German/Swiss border I've managed to get there before.

My post wasn't entirely context free, but you might have to look at the 'Verdict on the Alfa' post I made a few days before this one to understand the adventure part. Synopsis: Even a trip to Tescos can turn into adventure in a suitably crappy car.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

10-15 years ago, I would have thrown myself and mountain bike down anything I could see a rough track on, now I actually stop at the top, look down, think about it, then probably walk it down and to see if there is anything that might cause me problems.

It hurts as you get older.

Reply to
Elder