FFS.

Why did VW decide to use Allen bolts inside little rubber boots on bloody brake calipers?

Reply to
Doki

Reminds me of doing the pads on my VFR.

Spent an hour hammering the f*ck out of the pad retaining pins without shifting them.

Then I had a closer look and found they had an allen head on them.

Reply to
SteveH

Useful where you want a smaller head on a bolt. Or in a bar - like the slides on many calipers.

If they're the slides you're referring to it's not VW but the brake maker.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

ATE iirc. And I'll bet the heads on those slider pins are 7mm not 6 or 8mm hex too. Bastards.

JB

Reply to
JB

A set of 3/8 drive ones for your socket set from the likes of Halfords includes the two needed for those brakes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed. That's where I bought the ones I needed for the calipers on the old E34.

JB

Reply to
JB

I'm beginning to suspect that they're 6.5 - 6mm is slightly too large, 7 is too big.

Reply to
Doki

I'm beginning to suspect that they're 6.5 - 6mm is slightly too small - catches but feels loose, 7 is too big.

Reply to
Doki

They really are a 7mm. Don't trust allen keys. Get a 3/8" set of hex tips as DaveP suggested. Tap the tip into the hex slider pin with a small hammer first to seat it properly. Oh and by the way, I'll bet they are stainless steel pins too. When you do get the tip in, take *great* care when undoing them. _Any_ off axis torque and they'll snap off the small threaded section in the caliper mounting plate. Then the fun begins...

Jb

Reply to
JB

In news:46b32667$0$24759$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk, Doki wittered on forthwith;

I've got the proper allen key for the job, you should find one in your local motor factors for a few quid. It's 7mm IIRC, and quite large.

Reply to
Pete M

i attempted to change pads on my MK1 MR2, guess what i did :-) my mate wasn't to happy when i drove to him with 3 calipers and one slightly lose one with a bolt stuck in it.

i don't do pads myself anymore can't be trusted :-P

Reply to
Vamp