Fiesta TDCI - OBD & MP3 Changers

I've finally taken delivery of my Fiesta TDCI, and have been happily pootling around in it for almost 3 weeks now. I foolishly assumed that the Ghia model would have the usual bits such as a little gauge telling you how many miles 'till you run the tank dry, and little trip counters like the Focus Ghia it replaced. It doesn't. So, I need to do some hacking for that functionality.

I've stumbled across OBD-II, which is a feature of the Fiesta (and every other new car on the market). It provides an interface to the car's own network. Standardising is great! Sadly, they didn't standardise the interface, and I'm not sure which one I have. I've emailed Ford, but don't hold out much hope. Pins in use on the connector are:

4: Chassis Ground 5: Signal Ground 6: CAN bus? 7: K line 9: ? 14: CAN bus? 16: +12v

I hope this is the ISO standard, but I'm not sure. Anyone know for sure, or can point me in the right direction?

Second thing about the car is the sat nav. It requires a CD to be inserted all the time, and there was no option of a CD changer from the dealer. Having read the manual, it'll support a CD changer. I'd rather have an MP3 player though, so it looks like I'll have to reverse-engineer the protocol (there is some info on the 'net). Any ideas where I can get a cheap Blaupunkt Travelpilot -compatible CD changer for testing?

Cheers, Andy (slow diesel Fiesta owner and only doing 47mpg - disappointed)

Reply to
Andy Laurence

This seems a bit strange - did you check the specification before ordering?

:)

If you're wanting to do your own in-car computer, good luck, it's certainly possible but you'll need to know both how EOBD (European OBD), or the CAN bus (which I believe 2003 onwards cars use), and you'll need to configure what to do with the data, too.

I bought the Harrison R&D "solution" - leads and converter - and I use it with my PalmOS devices. Ours was just shy of $200, but this comes with both PalmOS and Windoze software and leads. Just don't go away for a week leaving the OBD-II lead plugged in, you'll flatten the battery... :-/

The fuel consumption of the Fiesta TDCi will reduce (i.e. you'll get better MPG) over the next twenty thousand miles or so. The 1.4 isn't as bad as the

1.8 or 2.0 Ford / PSA derv donks in terms of running in mileage, but it still takes some time.

The 30K model I borrowed averaged high 50s to the gallon with me not trying especially hard either way... :)

Reply to
DervMan

Eew, Ford's aren't very well specced are they...

You should've got a 206. My 206 has these features, and its not the top model :)

Reply to
DanTXD

But the Fiesta is built better, costs much less to service, handles better and is far more comfortable to drive.

Reply to
DervMan

think i'll stick with my MK1, can get a better seating position than that, plus costs FAR! less than both fiesta and 206 so can spend more on sound shit. and yes it looks better too IMO :)

Reply to
Vamp

*cough*

I somehow don't think so.

As an aside, I had a collegue following me in his brand new Fester TDCi the other day. Fuck they're slow.

Reply to
SteveH

IME, this happens with every Ford regardless of what's plugged into it.

Reply to
SteveH

I'll accept it might be built .as well

My intervals are 20k, i bet the diesel Fezzy is a darn site shorter than that.

Does it? Mine seems OK, but as a i said, GTi suspension and stuff on mine ;)

Thats subjective to the driver. I find mine perfectly comfortable, even with my physical mess-ness, even on long runs. Plus mine looks better and is faster.

Reply to
DanTXD

Some Google action suggests that this 'expensive servicing' claim you're making is a bit of a load of s**te :) They cost no more to service than anything else of the same class, there is no reason for them to, and they have long service intervals (20,000 or 2 years), much longer than the Fiesta's 12k or 1 year. So, i take this oppertunity to suggest that, compared to the 206, the Fiesta is expensive to service.

Reply to
DanTXD

I take issue with most of that.

In any case, which would you rather have ? I don't rate the Fester one jot !

Reply to
Nom

I made an assumption it'd have the same trim level as my Focus Ghia. Mind you, the Focus Ghia doesn't have anything other than a trip meter, odometer and a clock. The amazing thing was it didn't have ABS, and was less than 2 years old! I took it into the garage saying the ABS was broken - I was amazed when they said it wasn't fitted.

I thought you might have fitted it. I've never noticed the connection on the Ka though. I'll have a look later.

Well, EOBD>RS232 adapters are readily available (some for under £50). Parsing the data I require shouldn't be too tricky. Might even be able to do it on a PIC! My main issue is knowing whether it's CAN or something else. I suspect it's CAN, but I'll need to be 100% sure (otherwise it'll be more cash down the drain).

Yeah - the converters suck 12v from the permanent supply on the connector. IIRC, it's part of the standard that the 12v supply isn't switched.

I certainly hope it gets better. It's stupendously poor at the moment. I'm beginning to wish I went for the Mondeo LX which was the other option on my shortlist. Amazingly (sat nav aside), it has more gadgets and bits than the Fiesta Ghia. It has a trip computer (with some useful functions), full climate (rather than plain A/C), and cruise control.

High 50s? Is that all? Now I'm really disappointed. I went for the Fiesta because the economy is meant to be so good, but I got that out of the Megane. In fact, I once made a trip from Bristol to Telford and back at 75mpg. To think I've sacrificed 50bhp by going for the Fiesta :-/

Cheers, Andy

Reply to
Andy Laurence

It seems not. £13500 on a Fiesta, and it doesn't even have electric windows in the back! It's not even an option.

Sadly, it's a company car, and I'm restricted to Ford group with the new rules. I'd go Mazda, but you get bugger all for your money!

Cheers, Andy

Reply to
Andy Laurence

I suspect it handles better than any car in its class. It's superb. Understeer and oversteer available on demand 90% of the time. When driven smoothly, it responds with a firm stance and a dash of understeer. Comfortable? No way. It's the most uncomfortable car I've ever had. Even worse than the Focus. I prefer the cardboard seats of a Ka, or the minimalist seats of a Mini City to the park bench of the Fiesta. There's no arm rest either. Pah!

Cheers, Andy

Reply to
Andy Laurence

£13,500 seems like a lot for a Fiesta don't it? Especially one that costs more to buy, more to service, isn't as comfy, isn't as well specced, and isn't as quick as my 206 ;)
Reply to
DanTXD

Hopefully it'll improve markedly when it's properly run in.

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

High 50s across the B1225 with me not trying especially hard going to or from York... oh, heh, not trying especially hard to save fuel! :)

Reply to
DervMan

No, it's better built.

The interval has very little relevance to how much it costs to service. If you have five services in 100K but each service is £300, that's more than ten services, each costing £120.

We're comparing a non-sporty model with a sporty model.

You want to compare a sloppy handling standard 206 with a Fiesta?

Have you driven both?

Looks better? That's subjective!

Reply to
DervMan

Not the Peugeot, which needs "sporty" suspension to handle, rather than the Fiesta, that does it right from the box.

Reply to
DervMan

LOL.

Reply to
DervMan

Dunno, never driven one :) Driven a pikey model 206 tho, mate has a 1.9 NA D, GOD, its slow, handling doesn't seem particulary bad tho.

Reply to
DanTXD