For attention of Conor(the sat nav king!) or anybody! Tom Tom 5 problem

Hi all,

I have a recurring problem with Tom Tom Navigator 5 on my Qtek 2020i Pda that is really bugging me! I can be travelling down any road(mainly motorways I find) and it will suddenly lock up and bomb out back to the windows mobile screen. I have searched forums and seen several suggetions as to why,

  1. To turn on flight mode, which made no difference
  2. To change the SD card to a faster version

After testing it in demo mode on certain routes, I've discovered that it locks up at certain places all the time, maybe a error on the map or where lots of things are going on e.g lots of roads intersecting. So I know it's not random, but does anybody have any ideas?

cheers

Austin

Reply to
Aust_Powers

Try uk.rec.gps

JB

Reply to
JB

Free memory on the PDA seems to be an issue. It occurs more where there are a lot of things such as POI's being shown. For example, sticking on the GATSO POI would bring mine to a grinding crawl with stuttering audio etc.

Reply to
Conor

If you are not using the original SD card that TomTom came on, then it could, indeed, be the speed of the card. I had the same problem on TT5, and had to go out and buy what I knew was a fast SD card, and it worked fine from then.

Not had any problems with TT6 on a SanDisk micro-SD.

Reply to
Graculus

Conor you are a genius! I have turned off the POI and run the TomTom through the same route and bingo no problems!. It would be nice to be able to run the camera POI at least, but for now thats the result I needed, cheers!

Austin

Reply to
Aust_Powers

In message , Aust_Powers wrote

One of the early solutions that worked for me was to replace the PIO.dat file in TT5 with the _much_ smaller file from TT3. You may be able to achieve the same by using some third party software to edit the current TT supplied PIO file to remove much of the content.

TT5 on some lesser PDAs cannot handle too many PIOs and you could perhaps disable all of the PIOs supplied by TT and only run a limited number of third party PIOs that you are interested in. For instance, a combined file for all the speed cameras in the UK may works a lot better than multiple PIOs where the speed cameras are separated into different categories.

Reply to
Alan

No worries.

Reply to