ford escourt xr3i

I wouldn't buy a recon. box for _any_ car.

I prefer to take a gamble on used boxes - most breakers will give you

7-30 days warranty on a box, so if it's knackered you can get it swapped.
Reply to
SteveH

My few hundred quid J reg Carlton challenges your Citroen to just such a fight to the death!

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Which would be fine if we were comparing the XR3i to Alfas, but we're not, you brought Alfa's into this.

XR3i's are shit, get over it.

Ok, no one can claim CVH's are good, in any way.

The handling is s**te, but you've mentioned before how you get over 20k from sets of tyres, which says to me you don't push it hard on corners and stuff anyway, so how would you know?

As above.

True, hence the XR3i has heavy steering, just cos more than one car has this fault, doesn't mean its ok.

The interior is HIDEOUS, by any stretch of the imagination.

You seem to think Alfa's have some bearing on how shit XR3i's are? You have resorted to the "oh shit, i'm wrong so i'll just slag off the car of the person i'm arguing with".

Yes, it looks to be in good nick, how does this prove thats not rare and not expensive? I've seen minters going for upwards of £4k, which is insane money for what it is.

Reply to
Dan405

Your opinion

? well they produced millions of units, and there cheap, reliable and do the job well

I get 20k + per tyre because its 4wd, not 2wd ripping the front wheels to shreds, Ive owned Vectras and mashed tyres in less then 3k.

Your opinon again, But I do drive an Audi, which has one of the nicest interiors around, and I think the XR3i was nice

I mearly replied to the post, by saying that Alfa's suffer as bad if not worse from rust, then Escorts

He paid 1.5k for it, and I never said it was expensive, I just showed an example of a nice MK3 Escort

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Because it doesn't wear an Alfa badge? :)

Reply to
DervMan

Not at all. The XR3i (especially MkIV and V) would have been s**te regardless of the badge.

Much as I love my Italian cars, I'm not so short-sighted that I can't see the positives in other cars..... IMHO, the OP would be better off selling the XR3i and buying something that's a decent base car instead - if he's still set on mods, then a Pug 205GTi, Citroen ZX Volcane or Golf GTi would be a much better starting point.

Reply to
SteveH

Okay, okay, I take it all back then!

/You know I'm only teasing!/

Reply to
DervMan

Thing is some people would rather have a XR3I over those cars.

I would have a RS turbo over all them, tbh an XR3I isnt worth modding now, you might as well buy a tidy Turbo, much more tuning potental and alot faster when chipped then any of the others.

Brothers Mk3 S1 turbo still rips my head off when it accelerates, and handles like its on rails.

My mates got a mk2 golf GTI and although it looks ok, its falling apart, nothing works electricly, windows stuck closed, sunroof leaks, power sterring makes loads of noise, seats ripped to hell, outside you would think it was a minter.

Ive had tons of XR3i's and as much as you can slag them off, they were reliable, and was very comfortable, they were QUIET, infact very quiet, and a pleasure to drive, unlike other cars ive driven.

I've also owned 2 RS Turbo's and enjoyed every moment with them, and when I have enough spare change and a garage, I will get myself a nice S1 to play with

Once a Ford boy always a ford boy I say, same as alfa's, same as peugeot renault etc.

You stick with what you love.

Sell the 3i, buy a tidy series 1 RS Turbo, and chip it, new hoses, intercooler etc, and keep it tidy, a great investment.

Unless your names Ian Birch dont bother with a Golf, Turbo cars are much more fun.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Can't see why. They're the worst of their peer group of cars.

Only a S1 RS Turbo. As for tuning potential, I wouldn't bother - you _can_ get silly figures from them, but it costs big bucks if you want it to last more than 5 mins.

That's because it's a S1 RS Turbo. The 3i is _nothing_ like one of those.

Which is exactly the kind of condition most 3is will be in these days. Your mate's Golf is an exception - most MkII GTis have lasted very well, and you can pick up an absolute minter of an 8v car for well under a grand.

Hmmmm. I think you have clouded memories of them.

The CVH is a notoriously thrashy engine. As for the dynamics, they're wallowy and harsh.

I never understand this. Fords of this era have absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever - apart from proper RS (not the S2 Turbo) and Cosworth built cars.

So long as you wrap it in cotton wool, get up to your elbows in Waxoyl twice a year.

So buy a decent Turbo, like a Saab 900 T16, then.

Reply to
SteveH

don't forget to uprate the brakes as well ;)

Reply to
dojj

They never made a Mk1 XR3i the first one came in one the Mk3

Reply to
Richard Brant

Well Ron is right you can pick up a set of Tappets from Blue Ribbion for £45

  • VAT And they are a piece of piss to fit. Remove rocker cover Undo bolts on rocker arms Slide out tappets Replace rocker arms Replace rocker cover Roberts your Dads Brother, Job Done Half an Hour tops
Reply to
Richard Brant

For anyone being pedantic you also need to slide in the new tappets!!

Reply to
Richard Brant

Reply to
Pete M

And that of most of the motoring world.....

They're cheap yes, i'll give you that, but thats not always a terribly good thing. They're cheap like Value bog roll, it does the job in a s**te kind of way, but you need to use more and its not as nice as better bog roll. CVH's are cheap to fix, but they need fixing more often, and when they work they're not very good.

Ok, its a widely regarded fact that old escorts, and in fact most fords up until the newer fiestas/focus etc handled very badly (obvious exceptions for cossies etc).

Audi's have nice interiors, XR3i's have cheap feeling, very tacky interior, this said, not many cars of that vintage had much better interiors, but this still doesn't make them good!

But Alfa's have nothing to do with it? We're talking Escorts, Fords, not Alfas, hence the utter irrelevence, if Steve had said, XR3i's are s**te and always rust, and Alfas are ace and never rust, then fair enough, but he just pointed out Escorts rust, and you brought Alfa's in!

I know you didn't say it was expensive, i did. I'd say £1500 for an old Escort for very expensive, but i suppose if i was selling one, and knew there were people out there who'd pay that for an old Escort, i'd sell it for that.

Reply to
Dan405

bah pedant, u know what i meant.

Reply to
Theo

Sell it and get a Series 1 RS Turbo.

--=20 Conor

Hi. This is my friend, Jack Shit, and you don't know him.

Reply to
Conor Turton

At least you don't end up with the battery in the passenger footwell on an Alfa.

Reliable? ROFL.

Shafted again within 10000 miles due to crap oil pressure.

Cracked dashboard anyone? Grille in the middle falling out anyone?

Reply to
Conor Turton

Spend the 3 grand on a second hand tank and crush the XR3i. The world will be a better place and one day you will thank me for it.

Reply to
Andrew Ratcliffe

Richard Brant raved thus:

It was in the Mk3 Escort, but it was the first XR3i. I should have said 'series 1' but that term is normally applied to RS Turbos.

Abo

Reply to
Abo