ford escourt xr3i

I've got a feeling either the 1.6 or 1.8 zetec engine has 115bhp.

Not that that's bugger all to do with anything though!

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yes - at the end of the day it's a Mk3 Escort, with a CVH donk with a turbo bolted on, not producing all that much power. But that one looks to be in pretty much mint condition, and they are supposed to be a fun car to drive, and a lot more unique than any old crappy Mk3 Escort. At the end of the day, it's worth £1500 to someone prepared to give £1500 for it.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yup Richard, I changed tappets on all my escorts as one of the first jobs, it took approx 20 mins to slide the new tappets in, as there self adjusting there is no need for feeler gauges and stuff like that.

Piss easy, and nice and quiet after, I brought mine from Macces, and paid

40+vat for them.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

the 105 1.8 made the escort the 115 1.8 made the mondeo

Reply to
dojj

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Wrinkly trim up the A posts anyone. They're crap - things have moved on a long long way since then. But then I'm spoilt in my new passat

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Heh. I forgot all about that one. My MkIV had that, too.

Reply to
SteveH

*cough* bullshit *cough*

Oh, and it didn't have 115bhp by the way... :)

8 seconds to 60 from an XR3i ?

rotflmao.

Reply to
Lordy

It did have 115BHP according to Classic Ford mag and it had a 0-60 time of 9.8 seconds.

Reply to
Conor Turton

Yeah i was wrong on the 0-60 but it was 10 yrs ago now, and it was fast in the day :)

I'm buying an S4 Avant in a few week's, so will make my old XR3i bhp look like a morris minor anyway

Reply to
Ron

It didn't.

Early XR3is had 105bhp later ones 108bhp.

However, Dave Baker (Puma Racing) reckons 103bhp at the crank is closer to the mark for early cars.

Which means it only made as much power as the Rover 214 16v at the time.

Reply to
SteveH

BTW why do people reply to people's thread with, BURN it and buy sumit else? If he asked for help, and you dont want to give it, then why bother commenting?

If the op likes XR3i's or likes Datsun Sunny's does it matter>? why not help him or not bother, seems people are more interested in ripping the shit outa cars and people then actually helping them.

Before you comment on Modded motors, look at what your driving, everone's entileted to there opinion, but it might be better keeping it to yourself somtimes.

Unless suddenly this group is called Alt.rec.cars.idrivestandard.wewillripthepissoutayou then carry on.

Ron

And yes I do Drive a Modified Car

Reply to
Ron

considering the XR3 made 96 brake way back in the mists of 1983, I would say yes :)

Reply to
dojj

Oh, I dunno. All part of the fun isn't it? :-)

Maybe pointing out that the OP's car is probably worth max £500, and that it is pointless spending his £3000 on it *IS* helping him.. sound advice to buy a much better motor. XR3i or VR6? Hmm... I wonder :-)

not qualified to comment then. I drive a Mondeo (No mods). A ZX (no mods) A Capri 2.8i (lowered 1" , CD head unit and SS zorst but no other mods).

Reply to
Mike P

2 replies in one :) apart from the GLARING errors on that site (the cabrio's came with the 130 engine in the earlier versions simple to lug the wieght about and had discs on the rear just like the rest of the 130 models but it was only in the last of the mk6 and the mk7's that they ditched the 130 models simply because more women were driving them and ford were told they didn't erquire the extra power that the 130 engine provided as they were simply used for posing AND the S2 escorts had exactly the same power as the S1, the 133 bhp engines were in the fiesta turbo's as they used a different EFi system rather than the MFi system used on the escorts AND the big wing escort cossie had a top speed of 140 and the small turbo with the deleted rear wing option had the 144 top end speed) it's fairly good with it's numbers :)

i would have said that, if he wanted to spend money on it then it's beacuse of insurance in that respect it would have been wiser to opt for selling the XR and buying an RS, chipping it, boost hoses, new clutch, and the rest of the money could fund the extra insurance but i don't know anything about the OP so i didn't

as does everyone :)

Reply to
dojj

dojj waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

Considering a Fiat 127 Sport was making 75 Bhp from something like 1050 cc...

Reply to
Pete M

damn you and your Italian cars!!!!

Reply to
dojj

Well, he probly doesn't, notice he hasn't replied to the thread at all? The whole thing sounded a bit like a troll to me.

Reply to
Dan405

umm, no it wasnt! well maybe for an escort it was

nice!

i didnt say burn, i said a head to head death match. there is a difference :) This is usenet, and everyone is entitled to their opinion, and is entitled to post it, you're never gonna stop that.

Why? A majority of people are advising him to get rid of it and get something else, there must be a reason for this. Personally i hate the image they have, and the bullshit that often surrounds them. Bit shallow i know, but i also dont like the CVH engines (and yes i have had experience of them). I once owned a Ford :( ;)

But if the OP still wants to keep it and mod it, then go for it, i just hope he doesnt get pulled into the world of bullshit and Max Power. I know what its like driving a car with lack of image. When i used to rally the 205 DT i used to get a lot of stick coz its a diesel, but by the end of events i usually impressed most people that came up against me. To a lesser extent i still get it now coz i havent got a GTi like *all* other 205 drivers have.

So do i (just)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Ron - chill.

It's an unmoderated newsgroup. That means people post what they want to. It goes with the territory. That's why people make these sort of suggestions. It's all part of the robust nature of things.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle