Ford Sierra in USA

Was the Sierra ever sold in the USA ? If it was, what was it called ?

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Rushing7

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

The Merkur I think, had a similar body to the XR4i but with a turbo engine or a V8 I think.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Merkur XR4 TI, a basic xr4i with a turbo :) was sold in america

Also Scorpio was the name of the sierra I think

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Reply to
Rushing7

Reply to
Rushing7

Isn't that a Granada (Taurus?) thing...

Reply to
Lordy

Yes, as the Merkur XR4Ti, fitted with either a 4 cylinder 2.3 Turbo (uprated ones are intercooled) engine, or according to some sources, a V6, but never a V8. That's the South African XR8.

The Granada was sold there as the Scorpio, too.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Taurus is a US-Market car, IIRC FWD (certainly in the later models), looks like a Granada but is much larger.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

In article , snipped-for-privacy@dmc12.demon.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Ah thanks. Thought they had the v8 as well as SA.

You live and learn.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

When the 3dr Cosworths built they nicked the dash out of the XR4Ti as they came with a boost gauge in the top left corner above the rev counter. Just a bit of useless knowledge for you ;-) Rich

Reply to
Richard Brant

Interesting Fact : It's the car the cops drive in Robocop !

Reply to
Nom

Scorpio was, of course, the name Granada was sold under in the UK after 1994 or so. And for a while before, there was the Granada Scorpio, while in europe they dropped the Granada name and just called it Scorpio instead.

Pretty good cars, certainly good value.

Reply to
antispam

Merkur or something...

Reply to
Burgerman

which comes straight from google i shouldnt wonder :)

Reply to
Theo

They used the Taurus SHO in Robocop - it has a DOHC 3.0 V6 built by Yamaha.

Interesting fact: They developed a number of futuristic cars with fiberglass bodies built on Chevy Camaros but when delivered they found Robocop couldn't climb in and out - doh!

The Taurus was included very late in the production. Very cheap on ebay.

Gareth

Reply to
Gareth A.

Sort of, PJ Motorsports website ;-)

Reply to
Richard Brant

"Ron" scrawled

The mercury merkur xr4i was a turbo pinto. IIRC.

-- richard

Reply to
richard

It wasn't a Mercury, it was a Merkur, and it's not a Pinto, though it is related and is the same engine as used in the Ford Pinto and Mustang - the heads are very different. IIRC the engine is called the Lima, or something like that. Also used in the Mercury Capri (Ford Capri marketed in the US but only up to Mk II bodyshells).

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

correct it shares only the basic shape of the sierra with a different chassis rail arrangement to deal with the 120 litre fuel tanks they require for mega mileage trips from one side to the other

the "pinto" engine is really a 2.3 with a turbo bolted to the side and fancy inlet manifolds that makes stock 175 bhp for emissions regulations etc

it didn't sell a lot

`-'\_)Morticia

Reply to
dojj

I thoughthe shell was the same, i looked over one at a body shop in akron in the mid 80's and we talked a bit about repairing them, they didn't have loads of 4 doors available for long front ends;-)

A manager of a hotel near me was working in south africa in the mid

80's and when he came here he bought his xr8 with him, it sounded nice but wasn't all that not a patch on a cosworth.
Reply to
richard