FS: 2003 S-Type Jagar 3.0 V6 Manual (Red) - 47k and FJSH

I personally like the look of the Scorpio.....

I take it that economy comparison is the V8 vs the 3 litre, right? Are they both manuals, and both driven under similar conditions for those results, or just picked out of a book? I reckon it'd be a lot closer for real-world driving.

-- Coming Soon: The British Apathy Party - though I bet nobody'll vote for them.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Whilst I'd say that the auto would have a reasonable economy penalty over the manual, I'd also seriously doubt that either would do 35mpg, unless it's a long drive, pootling along the motorway at 60mph. And if that's your bag, then you're not the sort of person who buys something with a V6.

-- Coming Soon: The British Apathy Party - though I bet nobody'll vote for them.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Heh, and amongst many other parts, Lotus Elises (certainly the Mk1s) shared window winder handles with a Metro. Just thought I'd throw that in.

-- Coming Soon: The British Apathy Party - though I bet nobody'll vote for them.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

316??? Pah - the new model Sprinters come with up to something like an 180bhp CDI engine, or a 235bhp 2.5 litre V6 petrol, which I reckon that, even with LPG going up slightly more in percentage terms than diesel/petrol, would be a bloody good bet if it got LPG converted with a mahoosive gas tank....

-- Coming Soon: The British Apathy Party - though I bet nobody'll vote for them.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

consumption,

Ewwww - 208! Though I'm sure financially it made sense. I take it it's not going to be taking particularly heavy loads though, right? 'Cos you'll be kicking yourself that you didn't spend the small amount extra on the 211 if it's regularly loaded up with heavy stuff. Though if I'm guessing right what it's going to get used for (connected to some sort of upmarket food retail shop?) then the space is probably more important than ultimate weight-carrying ability.

-- Coming Soon: The British Apathy Party - though I bet nobody'll vote for them.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

There are many people out there who can help you with your affliction - they're called opticians...

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Whack the cruise control (international standard 'nun'?) on at 80 and find out; unless you're in traffic or the hills the manual gets 35.

Official 'extra-urban' numbers are 38.7 (man) and 36 (auto) FWIW. Its only a 10% hit on paper, buit the 6-speeder ZF is an awful gearbox to drive. Just one of it's great feastues you'll fins when coasting down a hill and you touch the brakes gently. Courtesy of some 'too clever for their own good' software engineer the 'box ECU will detect the brake pedal being pressed and the car still accelerating, assume that the brakes have failed and downshift the 'box into the lowest possible gear to reduce the severity of the accident due to brake failure.

'Dumb' autoboxes (like the old ZF4HP22) were bearable, but these new-fangled jobbies that try to think for themselves are awful inventions.

Reply to
m.a.cosic

Real-world and manual 3 versus 'the one to have' auto 4.2S (4.2S isn't available without a slushbox).

Reply to
m.a.cosic

Which is a very sensible feature which avoids wearing out and or overheating the brakes. If you don't want it to change down why apply the brakes?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You said that about the Verso, and you complained about the price.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I stand by my comments.

It's a heap of s**te.

Might be OK with a diesel engine as a company cage, but I could never say it was a good car.

Reply to
SteveH

They do it to provide assistance - my merc box does the same as did the invecs on the galant. Very handy on long descents.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The Explorer does the same as well. Sadly the mass of the Explorer means that it's less effective than it needs to be, but it does ensure that on cruise control it doesn't run away on long downhill sections such as when I'm crossing the Alps.

I saw some Brits getting done for speeding last time we came back via Switzerland, they had succumbed to the temptation to keep going faster and faster on the downhill section of motorway from the Gotthard pass.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It's a combination of right price, right colour and available two years old with 30k on the clock.

Correct, it's only for shipping food around and for that we need volume over weight carrying.

The heaviest stuff we ship is pasta which has about the same density as books in terms of kg/cu metre. However we don't need to ship huge volumes of pasta at present and things like amaretti (one of our best sellers) are incredibly light.

When it gets up to large deliveries we use a local haulier because we get a full warehouse service from them. The containers are dropped off and the load broken down/racked and documented by them and we simply telephone to get orders packed and shipped. It saves us from having to have a large warehouse/big van/staff and the prices they charge us make it uneconomical for us to employ the three bodies we would need to do the same job. As long as the customers are buying by the case it's easy to do business and we manage the awkward sods (can I buy two mixed cases) and retail from our shop.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Shouldn't Mazda be in that list?

Reply to
Depresion

I remember that well - I think we did the same though...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Such a nice bit of road. But watch out for the cameras as you head on the A2 [E25] from Hersberg to Arisdorf, last bit of steep downhill before Basel just after the tunnel.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yeah, but I was focussing on the "premium" brands.

Didn't include Mazda, Lincoln, Mercury...

Reply to
DervMan