...hello?

They're not bad actually.

I've owned a Montego of that era and it was more than adequate.

It would just be that little bit more shit, and therefore cool, if the interior was 'shit brown' like on the phase one models if you selected beige as the exterior colour. ;-)

Reply to
JackH

Ooh, yes, nasty. I actually liked the estate montegos though - apart from the rear suspension mounts demonstrating somebody didn't have a clue how to design load areas :-( And the rust.

Reply to
Clive George

Just a tad. During my exit interview the boss said "I think you saw this coming back in September". Somewhere along the lines of 40% of my department are out, and I wouldn't be overly surprised to see a second round in 3 months time.

I'm going to need to change fields, IMO. It was hard to find jobs in my field during the boom times, and now it'll be bloody impossible. Still, it's a bit of a kick up the arse to go out there and get on a grad scheme or do a masters.

Anyway, the pay in the field I was in was s**te (most likely due to it being massively seasonal - think 6 months of 10-15 hour days and 6 months of thumb twiddling), and it's not one of those jobs where your pay suddenly doubles because you've gained a professional qualification - you would always be miles behind someone of similar ability in almost any other sector.

Reply to
Doki

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 01:11:06 +0000, JackH spouted:

It is shit, but as I've proved, it's still possible to get a permanent job in the middle of all the shit. I had to take a couple of grand pay cut, but so what, it's a permanent job.

I had 8 interviews for perm roles - 5 of them were for 2 roles, and I went to two interviews for another. One I didn't get, two were pulled and the others I got good feedback from but they were "considering their recruitment strategy" . I was beginning to find it quite stressful. When agencies ring you up "for a chat" and take 3/4 hour about it, you know they've f*ck all else to do. More than one agent has talked to me to make sure I've got my CV on Jobsite as well as the others FFS..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 01:08:15 +0000, JackH spouted:

I'm not surprised at all. There's a lot of them about too, he runs the gay branch of the Mini owners club. Nowt against it like, and I bet their club meets are more interesting than an MGB Owners club meeting talking about trunnions and real ale :-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 20:44:37 +0000, SteveH spouted:

Yay! Indeed, I was beginning to think we'd have to move somewhere more pikey.. :-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

The rust... yes a PITA, although in their and the Maestros defence, they tended to be quite solid underneath and would instead rot in really visible places like the outer door skins, whereas an Escort of the same era would normally look solid on the outside but would the proverbial rot grenade waiting to go off, rotting away underneath and all manner of places not that visible from the outside.

As for the load area... never really had a problem with the ones I had - bloody useful car really, hence why I wouldn't mind another one at some stage soon.

Reply to
JackH

I've given up looking tbh.

I'm going to retrain with the old man to get certified as a gas heating engineer / plumber.

Going to college to get the certification, the lot.

I'd had enough of corporate bullshit anyway tbh, when the axe fell.

*ding*

Is exactly one of the main reasons why I've decided to throw the towel in on it and go and do something else.

I replied to one email asking would I be interested in a role which fitted well with my skill set at the start of the week, and heard nothing more - hummm, why email me in the place, fuckface?

And I had another who emailed me a second line role a few weeks back - one where I'd have had to stay up there during the week, but whatever, tis money, so I phoned the agent up... and then got grilled as to why I'd considering doing such a role when my last two have been in management and how this would cause concern I'd be likely to f*ck off the minute something better came along, and big concerns over me being based so far away, so I say again... WHY EMAIL ME IN THE FIRST PLACE, FUCKFACE.

My CV clearly states where I'm based, and if I say I'm happy to do a support role, then I'm happy to do one and might not actually f*ck off just because I get offered something more senior, as in 'arguing the toss for a living'.

*sigh*... that feels better. ;-)

Truth be told, if I could persuade where I used to work to take me back, I'd f*ck off back to Pipe Organ Building and be done with it - not much money in it and you're away from home a lot of the time, but it's interesting work with little stress.

Reply to
JackH

Learn Polish then, I've heard they are in short supply over there.

Reply to
Elder

ITYF that's changing, a lot of the Poles are going back as wages there have been going up and the pound has tanked.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Yup. The sandwich shop across the road from work was staffed by Polish girls. A fortnight ago they announced that wages are so poor and the exchange rate so crummy that they're all going home. The new staff are Egyptian.

Reply to
Steve Firth

A lot of my Czech friends are also heading home. "Why stay here with the crime and high cost of everything when we can make the same money at home, and there we're taking money from Germans so it feels better.."

Reply to
Pete M

Shockingly, IME the auto in Montegos wasn't too bad.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

One I drove had a ZF 4 speeder so as good as any of the time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sounds like mine - well it's 4 speed at least. Goes well enough, it's damn comfortable and practical. And apparently the Stig drives one, so can't be that bad.....

Also getting a free set of alloys this week, so should look a bit more presentable by the end of the week.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs